We are looking for an organised and customer experience led individual to take ownership of the 16 Host Port Partner stopovers of the Clipper Race.
- Adventure and extended international travel with the Clipper Race stopovers
- South coast HQ office [PO12 1FX]
- Aimed at someone who leads a flexible lifestyle and is used to working outside the normal 9-5
- Full time permanent role with a salary of £32,000 – £38,000
Established in 1995, Clipper Ventures has grown significantly over the past 27 years, with a complementary range of sailing brands within its portfolio that supports pathways for recreational adventurers with no previous sailing experience through to professional seafarers.
Today, Clipper Ventures encompasses our flagship brand the Clipper Round the World Yacht Race and our growing pillars; Clipper Events, SKIRR Adventures, Hamble School of Yachting and Clipper China.
This is a race without equal; one of the biggest challenges of the natural world and an endurance test like no other. The Clipper Race is a powerful blend of fiercely intense competition and stirring human endeavour. We aren’t afraid to compete and push boundaries – the world’s longest yacht race enables individuals to pit their wits, skills and courage against the world’s toughest oceans, with no previous sailing experience required.
This momentous biennial event is born from crew with a thirst for a life changing adventure, believing that anything is possible as they navigate the Doldrums en route to South America, endure epic Southern Ocean storms, experience South African sunsets, face the mountainous seas of the North Pacific – and create lifelong memories before returning as heroes.
The race is everything; it’s exciting, uncomfortable, exhilarating and at times frustrating. Since 1996 the Clipper Race has developed over 5,000 people into competent ocean racers and built a reputation for showcasing brands and building international trade links between partners and host destinations.
The Clipper Race is looking for an experienced event manager to join a growing and dynamic team to manage Clipper Race Host Port partners.
This role will be responsible for the planning and implementation of the Clipper 2023-24 Race (and beyond) Host Port stopovers. Working alongside the account managers we are looking for someone that has the skills to deliver a wide scope of events internationally to meet the business and tourism objectives of our partners, as well as the needs of the Clipper Race and our Race Crew.
The role will require international travel for 2-3 weeks at a time during the race year in line with Clipper Race stopovers. The rest of the time the role will be UK based at Clipper Race’ HQ office [PO12 1FX].
- Relationship management with each of the Host Port Partners, supporting the Account Manager.
- Organisation and delivery of the contractual Host Port Requirements, this is a list of facilities and services required in each destination.
- Management of the stopover schedule alongside the Race Office and other departments.
- Liaise with key departments in the planning and execution of the stopover including Communications, Race Office, Brand/Marketing and Accounts.
- Organisation and delivery of a programme of events for the stopover. This would include events such as Clipper Connect Business Series, Prize Giving and briefings.
- Support/assist the management of the stopover Race Crew App.
- Ensure that risk assessments are completed, and event health and safety protocols are followed.
- Ensure that events and the stopover are organised and delivered in line with Clipper Race sustainability guidance.
- Be responsible for capturing event data during stopovers to feed into economic impact reporting.
- Liaise with the Host Port Partner to create a wide race of Race Crew and visitor experiences.
- Work with the Marketing and Communications teams to ensure that the stopover and its events are marketed properly to our stakeholders and audience.
- Work with the Host Port Partner and the Operations and Logistics team to coordinate the site branding.
- Support the wider Clipper Ventures events teams with projects such as SKIRR Adventures and Clipper Events.
- You communicate clearly. You speak in an engaging way and are comfortable speaking in public
- You thrive in a fast-paced environment – comfortable with an element of unpredictability, navigating and managing change, making smart decisions on the run and guiding the team and client to the best possible outcome.
- You are extremely organised, have a can-do, positive, dynamic attitude and hungry to achieve in an organisation where every day is different.
- You enjoy being outdoors and experiencing all the elements, as well as operating in varying environments and cultures.
- You’re natural at building rapport with just about anyone at any level in an organisation with a proven ability to build and maintain strong working relationships with clients and colleagues.
- You are detail orientated, you stay focused, and nothing gets missed.
- You are hardworking and due to the type of events ready to work outside of the usual 9 to 5 environment.
- You thrive on working on multiple projects at any one time and can work at pace.
- You enjoy solving problems and finding creative solutions to challenges.
- You are patient, level-headed and cool under pressure.
- You are a real team player.
- You lead a flexible lifestyle which allows you to travel and work away for some extended periods.
- You currently live, or are willing to relocate to, within a commutable distance to our Gosport, Hampshire HQ.
You will also need to have:
- At least 3 years’ relevant experience in a Major Event Management role ideally within sport/entertainment, or large-scale events.
- Understanding of incident/crisis management.
- Expertise in event planning, delivery and evaluation, communications and managing financial processes/budgets.
- Project management experience, with the ability to manage your own time as well as more junior members of your team, delegating and managing as required.
- A degree qualification or equivalent relevant experience.
- Competent in Microsoft 365, CRM systems and digital platforms.
- Valid unrestricted passport.
- An understanding and commitment to equal opportunities in employment and sport.
- An understanding of individual responsibility in complying with the Health and Safety policies and arrangements.
- No sailing experience necessary, however a general understanding of boats and marinas may be useful.
- Right to work in the UK
- £32,000 – £38,000 dependent on experience
- 25 days annual leave plus statutory bank holidays and one volunteer day
- Clipper Race Level 1 sail training course
- Private Health Insurance [subject to conditions]
- Discounted gym membership
- Cycle to work scheme
- Company pension scheme
- Travel subsistence
- Company phone and laptop
Please submit your CV and a covering document [letter, presentation, video etc], please ensure that you demonstrate your capabilities across the below areas:
- Event management in a major event or sporting environment
- Relationship building with external clients
- One of; health and safety, crisis management or sustainable event practices