Event Operations Manager – SailGP
SailGP is the world’s most exciting racing on-water. The annual, global championship – established in 2018 and now in its third season – features national teams battling in short, intense races at iconic stadium-style venues across the globe.
The high-tech, high-speed action features the sailing’s best athletes racing in identical hydrofoiling F50 catamarans, flying at speeds approaching 100 km/h who compete for the sport’s top prize money, with US$4.3 million at stake over the season.
SailGP also races for a better future, championing a world powered by nature. In 2020, SailGP set a new standard as the first climate positive sports and entertainment property and began delivering actions and innovations that advance the global adoption of clean energy. Underpinning the organization’s purpose-driven agenda is a diversification of the league, with the goal of immediately progressing gender and racial equity and inclusivity.
SailGP is a global organization with defined values that shape the culture of its diverse team: deliver quality, break boundaries, make an impact, stand together and strike a balance.
The SailGP Global Operations team is looking for an experienced Event Operations Manager for the Tech Site. The Tech Site is home to all Sailing Teams and Tech Team. This position will support the Global Operations team with all technical site operations for each SailGP event with primary focus on the design of the site and delivery of both owned and locally rented temporary infrastructure. This position will be working with internal departments, outside vendors/suppliers, partners, and local teams to coordinate all logistics and operations to execute each assigned event.
- Reports to Head of Tech Site Operations.
- Design of site overlay (including but not limited to existing permanent facilities at the tech site, temporary infrastructure rented locally, and temporary infrastructure travelled from event to event) while integrating the requirements of cross departmental needs to produce one cohesive site experience.
- Develop and manage all versions of the CAD drawings and update with revisions as planning develops on the site.
- Provide designs to local operations teams and communicate regularly with them to keep pace with local permitting.
- Manage the pre-planning, build, operations, and de-rig of the site in collaboration with the local operations team as well as the global logistics partner. Please reference the SailGP season 3 and 4 calendar for current event dates.
- Manage schedules, plans, infrastructure requirements, consumption reports and any other documentation associated with the role.
- Work with SailGPs global suppliers and assist with management of all local vendors, suppliers, and contractors.
- Manage local operations teams to plan and deliver all locally rented and required infrastructure, utilities, and services; including, but not limited to cranes and MHE, temporary docks and moorings, tents, portacabins, furniture, toilets, fencing, fibre, waste management, water, power, catering, security and cleaning. This includes relevant scheduling, maintenance, refuelling, monitoring, and recording of usage.
- Work within the procurement process as it relates to technical site vendors, suppliers, contractors.
- Manage the load-in, placement, levelling and load-out of the containers in conjunction with the Head of Tech Site Operations and Logistics provider.
- Work with the Operations team and Tech Site Manager to ensure the safe and effective operation of the tech site – share information, maintain clear lines of communication, implementation of SOPs and H&S guidelines, report issues and solve where appropriate, report incidents or concerns, ensure daily routines are followed by local site staff, ensure daily checks are carried out, keep site clean, tidy and safe at all times.
- Support SailGP Tech Team, Technology Team, Broadcast Team, Content
- Team, Digital Team, Hospitality Team and all other departments as reasonably expected, including staying up to date on daily program changes to ensure smooth site operations.
- Any other reasonable tasks as directed by the Head of Tech Site Operations.
- Bachelor’s Degree required or equivalent qualifications required.
- 5+ years of experience in live, large-scale events for sports and entertainment industries at management level.
- Experience with temporary events in non-permanent venues.
- Experience with and ability to operate heavy machinery.
- Experience with and ability to mark sites and build from CAD maps.
- Strong relationships in place with local vendors, suppliers, contractors.
- Strong working knowledge of MS office, Adobe, Keynote, Google Drive.
- AutoCAD or Sketchup abilities are required or desire to learn.
- Strong strategic thinking capabilities with demonstrated problem-solving skills.
- Ability to operate both independently and in a collaborative, team environment.
- Entrepreneurial and passionate with a desire to exceed expectations.
- Superior organization, prioritization, and project management skills.
- Extremely strong attention to detail with the ability to multi-task and meet
- deadlines with limited supervision.
- Ability to work effectively and thrive in a fast-paced, start-up environment.
- Self-starter, action-oriented, resourceful; can take a project or program from
- start to completion.
- Culturally sensitive and able to effectively work globally.
- Willingness to travel domestically and internationally.
- Must be able to work events from start to finish throughout the year including
- nights, weekends, holidays.
- Frequent international travel is required.