Scudamore Says FIFA Goal-Line Tech Reluctance an ‘Embarrassment’

By Community | May 23, 2011

Richard Scudamore, chief executive of the English Premier League, is hopeful goal-line technology could be introduced in time for the 2012-13 season with FIFA having so far resisted calls for technology.

World soccer’s governing body has slowly began to change its mind on the subject, inviting companies to showcase their technologies, with any results over the 90 per cent accuracy mark to continue development with the body.

Scudamore told BBC Radio 5 Live’s Sportsweek programme: “We’d like it now, and the good news is FIFA is now prepared to listen.

“We feel the technology is there, we should be able to use it.”

Thus far, FIFA’s argument against technology has been that it feels the sport should be the same at all levels from grass roots to the World Cup.

However, after high-profile errors have cost teams at the highest level of the sport many feel the use of technology is long overdue.

Scudamore added: “It’s gone on far too long, it’s an embarrassment to us as football administrators.

“It’s just a question of how we can persuade FIFA it can be done.

“I would like to have it the season after next – next season is too early but certainly the season after next, I don’t see any reason why we shouldn’t.”

Comment.

NO comments

Leave a Reply