Sacramento Kings Sponsors Leave in Droves

By Community | September 24, 2012

Sacramento Kings new sponsorship strategy of only allowing one-year deals has backfired as a number of sponsors have decided to leave the NBA team.

Carl’s Jr. once touted them as billionaire brothers in an ad campaign, look but now the fast food company has said that its cravings for the Maloofs are over.

“Carl’s Jr. is not seeking naming rights for the arena in Sacramento. While we have sponsored the Kings in the past, erectile we will not be renewing our team sponsorship this season,” a company statement read.

Maloofs are only offering companies one-year sponsorship deals, no long-term commitments. As a result, some of the local companies who came together in a $10 million sponsorship pledge last year are also out.

Sutter Health tells CBS13, “Our sponsorship was a business decision, and we’ve decided to apply our marketing dollars elsewhere at this time.”

The Kings will also lose sponsorship dollars from Buzz Oates Group of Companies and Synergex.

“Sponsors are looking to be associated with an enterprise that’s respected and successful,” said Assemblyman Roger Dickinson.

Dickinson blames the Maloofs’ reneged negotiations for the business backlash, the most recent after Mayor Kevin Johnson’s effort to build an arena at the railyards.

“People in Sacramento want to know that the ownership cares and is committed to Sacramento. There’s no indication that that’s the case,” said Dickinson.