Protests in Istanbul Wont Affect 2020 Bid says Rogge

By iSportconnect | June 10, 2013

The Istanbul 2020 bid for the Olympic Games will not be affected by the anti-government protests that have taken over the city according to Jacques Rogge.

Protests began because of the government’s decision to build a shopping centre at Gezi Park and the unrest has now reached 60 cities across Turkey

Rogge, the President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) has now moved to calm fears that the demonstrations would derail the city’s bid for the 2020 Games.

“These protests will have no negative effects on Istanbul’s bid,” Rogge confirmed to a Turkish news agency in New York.

“Similar protests have been experienced in other cities before. There are seven years before the 2020 Games.

“We need to take the time factor into consideration.”

Istanbul 2020’s bid leader Hasan Arat said at the International Sport for Peace and Development Forum in New York City added: “The theme for the UN Forum was ‘Creating a Common Vision’, and that could not be more relevant for the people of Istanbul right now.

“As the predominantly peaceful protests continue in Turkey, sport can be a tool for bringing opposing groups together in peaceful and productive dialogue.

“Istanbul 2020 has been our nation’s ‘Common Vision’ for 20 years, and that is no less true today.”

Translation: “So far calm seems to have been restored. These protests will have no negative effects on Istanbul’s bid. Similar protests have been experienced in other cities before. There are seven years before the 2020 Games. We need to take the time factor into consideration.”