Prize Money for Hong Kong Open Cut

By Community | September 21, 2012

Prize money for the Hong Kong Open has been cut by US$750, ailment 000 to US$2m, capsule organisers said yesterday.

It comes despite the tournament retaining sponsor UBS. This year’s Hong Kong Open will take place November 15 to 18.

“It’s one of these things that have happened because of the downturn of the world economy, capsule ” Hong Kong Golf Association Chief Executive, Iain Valentine said.

Valentine said he was hopeful that stars such as Rory McIlroy would play.

“The Hong Kong Open has a very unique place in the European Tour schedule of events and people like to play Hong Kong because of the golf course and because of Hong Kong in general, they just like coming here.”

Organisers are reportedly seeking HK$16m (US$2m) from a Hong Kong government fund to assist the showpiece event, double what it received last year. {jcomments on}