Ponferrada Given Until October by UCI to Show it Can Fund 2014 Road World Championships

By Community | September 27, 2012

The UCI has given the organisers of Ponferrada, healing Spain until mid-October to show that it can fully fund the 2014 road world championships or it will move the championships elsewhere.

According to a report by EFE, the Ponferrada city council needs to come up with €5 million guarantee to the UCI by the middle of October. TheHuffington Post reported that the UCI is seeking assurances that the total budget of $19.4 million is still being allotted by the Spanish government.

Meanwhile, the city council of Cacabelos, outside Ponferrada, which was slated to hold one of the races, has today approved a motion proposing that each resident of the region chip in one euro to ensure the race will take place there.

Earlier this year a similar grassroots effort was launched to save two Basque races, the Tour of the Basque Country and San Sebastián Classic after a lack of funding nearly cost them WorldTour status or cancellation. A regional bank finally stepped in and saved the races for the time being.

UCI President, Pat McQuaid also confirmed they were contacting potential host if the spanish region cannot host the event.

“I told him (Gerrit Middag, head of the events department),” McQuaid told VeloNews, “‘Get on to all your contacts, people that you’ve been dealing with in relation to possible world championships in the future. Ring them all up and say there’s a possible opportunity. And are you interested?’”