No ‘Specific’ Terror Threat for London 2012 Olympics says Defence Secretary

By Community | May 13, 2012

Defence Secretary Philip Hammond confirmed today there is no specific terror threat to the London 2012 Olympics.

He said the extensive military exercise carried out last week in London was done to ensure the country was prepared for any threats which might arise in “a dangerous world”.

But Hammond said: “I am pleased to say there is no specific threat.

“The idea now is that the military will fade into the background as we don’t want to dominate these games.

“We want it to be a festival of sport and of culture, but the military will be there and we want people to know that the military are there in the background to provide ultimate reassurance.”

The news comes a day after the Ministry of Defence confirmed a sonic device will be deployed in the capital during the Olympics.

The American-made Long Range Acoustic Device (LRAD) was seen attached to landing craft on the Thames this week and can be used to send verbal warnings over a long distance or emit a beam of pain-inducing tones.

But the manufacturer denies it is a weapon while the MoD assured it would be used “primarily in the loud hailer mode”.