Leyton Orient Apply to High Court over West Ham’s ‘flawed’ Olympic Stadium Bid
March 6, 2013
Leyton Orient have renewed their challenge against West Ham’s proposed move to the Olympic Stadium by appealing to the High Court.
The League One club have continuously fought against the Hammers’ proposed move to the stadium and have previously attempted a ground share with the recently promoted Premier League club.
David Gold, co-owner of West Ham, earlier this week suggested that the team were close to moving to the Stratford site, but Orient chairman Barry Hearn has now confirmed they are fighting the process.
Speaking to Sky Sports News, Hearn said: “We believe that the bidding process is fundamentally flawed.
“The London Legacy Development Corporation (LLDC) have not followed their own rules when they set out the bidding process.
“All parties involved in the bidding process signed up to the principal of teaming and yet our bid has been turned down without consideration of teaming ie a ground-share with West Ham.
“Do we want to share with West Ham? Ideally, we wouldn’t like West Ham there to start with. But taking that as a gimme – and I think the Mayor’s office have made it clear from day one West Ham are their preferred bidder – we’d like to enter into the teaming process.”
Hearn has previously said that if West Ham moved to the stadium, the future of Leyton Orient would be in the balance.
Asked whether he would accept compensation from West Ham, Hearn commented: “I’m not interested in the money, I’m interested in us having a dream as well. I’m looking for a real legacy, not just a legacy in words where we fall over backwards to help a multi-million pound company like West Ham United.”
An LLDC statement responded: “We believe that our processes have been robust, fair and transparent and that the challenge is misconceived.”