FIFA Update: FIFA Postpone 2026 World Cup Bidding Process; Presidential Election Date to be Confirmed in July
June 10, 2015
FIFA have decided to postpone the bidding process for the 2026 World Cup due to the ongoing scandal regarding world football’s governing body and investigations into the 2018 and 2022 World Cups.
The bidding process was scheduled to start soon, with the hosts to be named at a FIFA Congress in Kuala Lumpur in May 2017.
FIFA Secretary General Jerome Valcke believes it is ‘nonsense’ to even consider starting the bidding process at this time.
“Due to the situation, I think it’s nonsense to start any bidding process for the time being. It will be postponed,” he said.
Election date set for December
FIFA will decide on a date for the election to replace Sepp Blatter as president next month, with December the likeliest option.
FIFA will hold an extraordinary meeting of its executive committee in July when a date for the election will be confirmed.
A Fifa spokesperson said: “It requires an extraordinary executive committee to confirm a date and agenda for the extraordinary elective congress.
“This extraordinary executive committee will convene in July, the precise date to be confirmed this week. There are currently various date options for discussion at this extraordinary executive committee meeting.”
Sepp Blatter stepped down as president last week, after being re-elected for a fifth term, due to charges of corruption for the governing body.