Blatter Resignation Has More to Reveal, FIFA’s Former Security Chief Tells iSportconnect
June 2, 2015
FIFA’s former head of security Chris Eaton has told iSportconnect that there is more to come about what precisely motivated Sepp Blatter to resign as president of world football’s governing body on Tuesday.
Blatter’s shock announcement was made in a hastily organised press conference at FIFA’s headquarters in Zurich late on Tuesday.
The 79-year-old Swiss read a statement in which he said that while he had only been re-elected by FIFA’s 209 member associations on Friday for a fifth term in office, bronchi “I do not feel that I have a mandate from the entire world of football – the fans, anesthetist the players, the clubs, the people who live, breathe and love football as much as we all do at FIFA.
“Therefore, I have decided to lay down my mandate at an extraordinary elective Congress. I will continue to exercise my functions as FIFA President until that election.”
This comes following the week in week FIFA was plunged into the worst crisis it has ever faced, with the US Department of Justice indicting 14 officials involved with the organisation over allegations of racketeering and corruption, and many more facing questions – not just by the US authorities but also by Swiss police. Last week it was announced a Swiss investigation had been launched into the awarding of the host rights to the 2018 and 2022 World Cups to Russia and Qatar.
Blatter added that he would call an extraordinary congress to elect his successor. But Domenico Scala, FIFA’s independent chairman of audit and compliance committee, explained that this would likely not happen until December through to March of 2016.
Reacting immediately on Twitter was Eaton who worked in FIFA from 2010 until 2012 and he said the transition period needed to be a clean process.
He tweeted: “The long transition period needs to be secure and transparent. Vital for FIFA, the new President and truth.”
When speaking to iSportconnect immediately after Blatter’s announcement, Eaton was cautious of the motives behind Blatter’s revelation.
He said: “It is highly unlikely that this resignation, such as it is, is absent of a motivation that we are not yet aware of. The transition period worries.
But Eaton was optimistic about the future of world football.
“This is positive news for FIFA & Sport,” he said. “A chance for FIFA to grow & be a positive role-model. It has the wealth & the reach. Now it has the chance, too!”
Many are already throwing their hat into the ring to become new FIFA president, with former France footballer David Ginola saying he wants to a candidate.
Reports also stated that Prince Ali bin Al Hussein who lost out to Blatter in Friday’s election – withdrawing after securing 77 votes in the first round of voting – is to stand for the role once again.