Pakistan Cricket Chief Slams ICC Plans of Presidency Rotation

Ijaz Butt, chief of the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB), slammed the International Cricket Council for its reported decision to change the rotational policy in the appointment of presidents after 2015 yesterday, June 7.

The motion will be put to vote at the ICC’s board meeting later this month and the PCB will oppose the move in which reports claim that the ICC is planning to stop the rotation policy once the term of its president, Shawad Pawar’s, successor Alan Issac is over in 2015.

Butt stated: “We are very disappointed. It is just a few days left for the ICC Board meeting and why such a decision was taken now. What is the hurry, I don’t know.

“I can’t say much on this matter now but definitely we will take up the matter and oppose it at the ICC meeting (on June 28 in Hong Kong),” he told the Times Now television news channel.

Pakistan and Bangladesh would lose out if the current rotational policy is done away with as the two countries are to present their nominees for the post of ICC president and vice-president.

Pakistan’s former ICC president Ehsan Mani had hinted on Monday, June 6, that the change in rotational policy could be initiated by India so that somebody from India could “jump the queue” to the top post.

Mani said: “I don’t know why the ICC wants to change it (the rotational policy). If it is going to be changed, I want to ask who are the people behind this.”

Nine out of 10 Test playing nations have reportedly signed on the ICC’s proposal to change the rotational policy of ICC president, which was at the centre of a major controversy last year when Australia and New Zealand’s nominee John Howard, a former Prime Minister, was rejected by the other Boards.

When the post of ICC president was first created in 1996, it was a rotation amongst Full Members, who would each have a turn in appointing the President, commencing with India (Jagmohan Dalmiya), then Australia (Malcolm Gray), Pakistan (Ehsan Mani), South Africa (Percy Sonn).

In 2007, the post of vice-president was created and the system was tweaked to the current Vice President/President.

Though rotation stayed as a policy, nominations now came from pairs of countries: Australia-New Zealand, West Indies-England, India-Sri Lanka, Pakistan-Bangladesh and South Africa-Zimbabwe.

NFL CBA Discussions Cancelled Due to ‘Lack of Progress’

A new development, or lack there of, has occured with regards to the National Football League (NFL) and the league’s Player’s Association (NFLPA) collective bargaining agreement (CBA) discussions.

Progress toward getting a new labour deal completed before the current CBA expires on March 4 appear to have stalled, as a decision was made following talks on Febraury 9’s bargaining session, to cancel scheduled talks for yesterday, February 10.

One source said that today’s session between the NFL and NFLPA was canceled due to lack of progress though NFLPA officials did not respond to multiple phone calls and e-mails.

NFL Senior VP/PR Greg Aiello declined to answer questions about the negotiations, saying: “We are not confirming, denying or commenting on CBA meetings”

NFL Network’s Jason La Canfora reported both sides “thought that this week could maybe build some momentum and start hacking away at certain issues,” but added that the two parties are currently “at a loggerhead.”

He added: “It’s not as if they won’t talk in the future though. They do still have other meetings scheduled, they do still hope to make progress on a CBA and at some point establish the kind of momentum hour after hour, day after day that it will take to strike a deal.”

Hockey Canada Appoints New President & CEO

Hockey Canada, allergist the national governing body of ice hockey and sledge hockey, cough has announced Tuesday that Tom Renney has been named the organization’s new president and chief executive officer.

Renney will begin immediately taking over for Bob Nicholson, health who served as president and CEO at Hockey Canada from 1998 to 2014.

As Hockey Canada’s president and CEO, Renney will oversee all elements of the organization, including hockey development programs, high performance programs, corporate sales, events and marketing, licensing, insurance and regulations, membership services, operations and communications.

Renney, 59, comes to Hockey Canada with a wealth of hockey experience at both the international and professional levels. He served as vice-president of hockey operations with Hockey Canada from 1997-99, also coaching Canada to a silver medal at the 1999 IIHF World Junior Championship. The native of Cranbrook, B.C., also served as head coach with Canada’s National Men’s Team from 1992-94, capturing a silver medal at the 1994 Olympic Winter Games in Lillehammer, Norway.

“On behalf of the board of directors, I am thrilled with the addition of Tom Renney as Hockey Canada’s president and chief executive officer,” said Jim Hornell, chairman of the Hockey Canada Board of Directors.

“It was a very thorough process, and we were overwhelmed by the quality of the candidates interested in leading Hockey Canada going forward. In Tom, we have an individual with great experience at all levels of the game, as well as a strong passion for hockey development. Tom understands and has demonstrated the value of teamwork and capacity building. We are confident his leadership will be essential in working with staff, volunteers, participants, partners and sponsors in facing the challenges ahead for our organization, from grassroots through to our national programs.”

“This is not only an honour for myself, but it is all that and more for my family,” said Renney. “We are thrilled to be joining this great organization. I am excited to dedicate my efforts to grassroots, development and high performance hockey with a volunteer base second to none in the world.”

Formula 1 to Enhance Digital Presence with New Paid App & Website

Formula 1 is set to enhance its digital presence after chief Bernie Ecclestone revealed they will launch a new app and a new website.

Early this week, Ferrari boss Stefano Domenicali urged the F1 chief executive to embrace the internet, as the “young generation” does not want “to see an entire race for one and a half hours”.

A report by the Bloomberg news agency said the official F1 website is only the 39th most popular among rival sports, worryingly outpaced by the likes of Egyptian soccer and American entertainment wrestling.

The report said chief executive Ecclestone has until now resisted embracing the internet to protect the huge revenue stream of exclusive television rights.

Now F1’s media strategy will get a modern facelift as quickly as June of this year.

The report said the sport will have a new website and ‘app’ that offers subscription-only video options, improving on the current three minute race highlights edit put to music.

“We’re planning a new app; it’s a decent-size project,” Ecclestone confirmed. “It’s something that we are working to get right.”

The 83-year-old warned, however, that television will continue to be the “mainstay” of F1 coverage.

And he said fans will be charged for the new ‘app’.

“We don’t do things for free,” said Briton Ecclestone.

{jcomments on}

IOC Looks into Country or Joint Bids to Host Olympics

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) opened up the possibility of an individual country or joint bids being placed for Summer and Winter Olympics in the future.

In an IOC session in Sochi, President Thomas Bach opened the floor to a wide-ranging discussion on his “Olympic Agenda 2020,” his blueprint for the organisation and the running of the games.

The process is aimed at charting a new course for the IOC under Bach, who was elected in September to succeed Jacques Rogge, who served for 12 years.

Despite no formal decision being taken at the session in Sochi it still brought about a debate that captivated the 100-plus members who attended.

IOC vice-president John Coates said the members should consider whether countries – rather than cities – should bid for the Olympics and whether to allow joint bids from different countries or cities.

Under IOC rules, a single city bids to host the Olympics. Joint bids are not permitted.

The possibility of changing the system drew a mostly negative reaction, with members stressing that the Olympics enjoy a special status of taking place in one city.

“One of the unique aspects of the Olympic Games is the unity of time and place,” Canadian member Dick Pound said. “It’s not an event made in a television studio. It’s what happens on the ground. We should be very careful about destroying that.”

The view was echoed by Israeli member Alex Gilady.

“If we go to a country, we will lose the Olympic Village,” he said. “The Olympic Village is perhaps the most important uniqueness of the Olympic Games. Maybe it could be done in the Winter Games, but in the summer if we change the concept from city to country we may start the end of the games.”

Two athlete members, Australian rower James Tomkins and swimmer Kirsty Coventry of Zimbabwe, also opposed any change. Coventry said athletes would lose the “level of competition” they are used to in a single host city.

O’Sullivan Asked to Explain Match-Fixing Comments by Hearn

World Snooker Chairman Barry Hearn has asked the reigning World Champion Ronnie O’Sullivan to explain his accusations following a series of tweets from the Essex-based star.

O’Sullivan claimed that match-fixing is currently widespread and predicted further, similar scandals following former world No 5 Stephen Lee being found guilty of match-fixing.

O’Sullivan said on Twitter: “I’ve heard there’s many more players who throw snooker matches .. I suppose Steve lee was just caught out.

“I just love putting it out there bring it all out in the open.. Nothing like a bit of transparency is what I say..

“No need to worry if you got nothing to hide. But plenty of people have got loads to hide. That’s why there is no free speech . There (sic) hiding.”

Hearn is looking to pursue O’Sullivan’s remarks and find out who he may be referring to. 

“We take these type of allegations very seriously. We have written to Ronnie asking him to explain his comments and to provide details of any match fixing and the names of the players that he is referring to,” said Hearn, who is also Chairman of Matchroom Sport. 

“Clearly, to make these type of allegations without informing the Governing Body through the correct channels is wholly unacceptable and extremely damaging to the Sport. We await his response. 

“We will not be making any further comment on this matter until it has been investigated further.”

{jcomments on}

iSportconnect Launch Road to 2020 E-zine

iSportconnect is thrilled to announce the publication of the Road to 2020 e-zine, an exciting interactive publication looking ahead to the International Olympic Committee’s final decision on the 2020 Olympic Games host city on 7th September. 

The e-zine features unmissable content and exclusive interviews with many key figures and decision-makers, including Head of the IOC Evaluation Commission Sir Craig Reedie, the President of each federation fighting to be included on the Olympic programme, and the candidates vying to be named the next IOC President. In addition to these fascinating interviews, the e-zine is packed with in-depth analysis and dynamic video content.

The e-zine also features Expert Columns on sports governance and Olympic sponsorship from renowned experts and the final results from the well-received iSportconnect 2020 Survey, which asked iSportconnect users where the 2020 Olympics should be held and what sport should be added, as well as much more!

Click here to view the exciting publication!

{jcomments on}

Scott Speed Signs with Sports Agency Beyond Marketing Group

Sports marketing agency Beyond Marketing Group today announced the addition of American racecar driver Scott Speed to its motorsport roster.

Speed, who has competed for Red Bull in Formula One and NASCAR, joins Beyond Marketing Group following his winning debut at X Games in Brazil. The agency will manage all of Speed’s motorsport marketing and sponsorship as he embarks on an ambitious career expansion into rallycross.

“This is an interesting transition for me and I’m looking forward to working with Beyond Marketing Group as I diversify my career,” said Speed.

Speed won his X Games debut in April racing as a guest driver in the Global Rallycross Championship’s ‘Star Car.’ He is now expected to run a full 2013 Global Rallycross Championship and X Games rallycross campaign, while continuing his competition efforts with Leavine Family Racing in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series.

“The schedule worked out perfectly so that every off weekend I had from NASCAR for the whole year is now a Global Rallycross Championship race,” said Speed. “It’s such an awesome mix of talent that you get to compete against every weekend in the GRC and it’s excellent racing.”

The partnership with Beyond Marketing Group will give Speed the backing of a new team with a wealth of marketing experience in areas including brand strategy, trend forecasting, social media, event production and media buying. The company’s specialty is in creating innovative, brand-building programs that integrate automotive, sports, music and lifestyle elements.

“A driver with talent and personality like Scott’s is a rare combination and we couldn’t be happier to be working with him,” said Beyond Marketing Motorsport Director Fred Chang, who will take the lead on management for Speed. “Scott is the right fit for our agency and we’re looking forward to taking his career to the next level.”

In 2012, Beyond Marketing Group introduced its specialty motorsport division, which represents television personality and professional driver Tanner Foust as well as the factory-Ford backed Olsbergs MSE organization.

Speed will next compete in the Radio Ford Fiesta in X Games rallycross in Barcelona, Spain, May 19.

Baltimore Ravens Reveal Multi-Million Dollar Stadium Renovation

Super Bowl champions, Baltimore Ravens announced a major two-year, $35 million renovation investment that will enhance the fan experience at M&T Bank Stadium with improvements to video boards, concession stands and all concourses.

The first phase of improvements will begin this spring, with extensive upgrades to the stadium’s lower concourse and video boards to be completed before the Ravens’ 2013 preseason home opener. The second phase of work, which will target the upper concourse, is scheduled to begin in 2014.

“We are striving to make the fan experience at Ravens’ home games and other stadium events the best it can be,” Ravens team president Dick Cass stated. “This is something that the NFL emphasizes with all teams and has been a top priority for the Ravens since opening the stadium 15 years ago.”

“There is wear and tear that comes with every season, and these improvements will certainly benefit our fans and our business,” Ravens vice president of stadium operations Roy Sommerhof said. “Our hope is to complete these projects over the next two years.”

Two high-definition video boards, measuring 8 feet high and 30 feet wide, will be installed at the concourse entrances of gates A and D. (Approximately 60 percent of fans enter gate A for all stadium events.) These new high-definition boards, which have split-screen capabilities, will display a variety of content, ranging from in-game action, highlights, stats, welcome messaging and entertainment video.

Another dramatic improvement will be the addition of four new LED boards – one to be placed on each side of the two giant RavensVision HD video boards in the stadium’s inner bowl. Additionally, new LED ribbon boards will be installed to connect fully around the entire middle seating bowl.

“With these boards, we will focus on football features that enrich the game-day experience,” Ravens vice president of broadcasting Larry Rosen stated. “Transitioning some of our static signage to LED technology allows us to expand content and provide the entertainment and football information – including scores and fantasy-team statistics – that our fans crave.”

With the first year of improvements, all 16 lower concourse concession stands will be upgraded. These enhancements aim not only to improve the speed of service, but also the freshness and quality of food, much of which will be prepared directly in front of fans. Additional concession stand improvements include digital menu boards and full upgrades to all condiment counters.

“We’re continually working with the Ravens to create an outstanding game-day experience for fans at M&T Bank Stadium,” said Joe Arena, general manager, ARAMARK at M&T Bank Stadium. “With these upgrades, we look forward to further enhancing the dining experience with exceptional service and top quality food and beverage options.” 

“We will also have more point of sale opportunities in each store,” Sommerhof added. “These upgrades will improve connectivity and speed up service for fans who purchase merchandise with credit cards or debit cards.”

NBC Sports Group to Show Over 60 hours of Ryder Cup Coverage

NBC Sports Group have announced they will present unprecedented, cough comprehensive Ryder Cup news coverage, tournament action, original themed programming and online digital coverage of the 39th Ryder Cup with more than 60 hours in total of on-air content – Sept. 24-30.

The 39th edition of the biennial golf competition between the world’s top professional golfers representing the United States and Europe takes place Sept. 28-30 at Medinah Country Club in Medinah, Ill.

Golf Channel on NBC will present 16 hours of live tournament coverage of the final two days of the Ryder Cup (Sept. 29-30). Complementing NBC’s live coverage, Golf Channel will provide nearly 50 hours of wraparound programming, featuring news, talk and instruction, headlined by its franchise show, Live From the Ryder Cup.

Comcast SportsNet Chicago will provide robust news coverage with a regional twist for its viewers throughout the week, and NBCSports.com and GolfChannel.com are teaming up to provide the most comprehensive digital coverage of the Ryder Cup in their respective histories.