Doha to Host 2015 IPC World Athletics Championships

Doha in Qatar has been announced as the host of the 2015 IPC World Athletics Championships.

The capital of Qatar was chosen for the high-profile tournament, which will run from 19-28 November, after impressing the International Paralympic Committee during a three-day visit there last week.

Qatar Sports Club’s 15,000-seater Suhaim Bin Hamad Stadium, which boasts an eight-lane Mondo track and hosts the first IAAF Diamond League meeting of each year, will host the event.

An eight-lane Mondo warm-up track lies adjacent to the stadium, with teams able to use the track facilities at Al Saad Club and Al Arabi Club for training.

“We were extremely impressed with all the facilities we saw during our three-day visit to Doha and were quite frankly spoilt for choice,” said IPC Athletics senior manager Ryan Montgomery.

“Doha as a city has a superb track record for staging major international sporting events and the Suhaim Bin Hamad Stadium is no stranger to hosting major athletics meetings.

“The 2015 World Championships will be the last major global gathering of athletes ahead of the Rio 2016 Paralympic Games.

“There can be few venues in the world with a more spectacular backdrop with the Doha skyline overlooking the track.

“All the facilities athletes will use during the Championships are world class and in close proximity to hotel accommodation.

“I am confident that as a result of the conditions created for athletes we will see many record-breaking performances.”

Pakistan Given to December by IOC to Demonstrate No Olympic Committee Government Interference

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has set December 1 deadline for Pakistan to show that its Olympic committee and sports federations are being run without interference from the national government.

Pakistan has been facing possible suspension from the Olympic movement under IOC rules, order which guarantee the independence of elected sports officials.

A meeting at IOC headquarters was called to address “allegations that parallel bodies have been established” to rival officially recognised sports federations.

The IOC says government authorities pledged that they “will cooperate and refrain from any undue intervention”.

The IOC says it “hopes that mutual understanding and a productive relationship can now be established”.

Anfeld Redevelopment Plans ‘making really good progress’ says Ayre

Plans to redevelop Liverpool’s home, Anfield are still well on track according to managing director Ian Ayre.

Last October, the club announced that they would no longer be going ahead with plans to build a new stadium at neighbouring Stanley Park. 

Principal owner John W Henry has made it a priority to keep Liverpool at Anfield, saying last year he felt it was a “myth” that the club needed to move to a new ground to improve their financial prospects. 

Ayre told Sports Illustrated that an announcement on the next stage of the redevelopment could come as soon as May. 

“In order to extend Anfield, we need to acquire a bunch of privately-owned property around the stadium,” he said. “We’re making really good progress with that. 

“We have a meeting coming up in the next few weeks with the city council and ourselves and stakeholders. We said some months back it would take several months to improve that property acquisition situation. We’re definitely on target so far. 

“The No. 1 priority is to stay at Anfield, but there are two or three hoops to go through. The first is property acquisition, the second will be planning and the third will be to build the thing. I would guess our next announcement on it will come sometime in May or June.” 

Liverpool had been pursuing a new stadium at Stanley Park since 2000, but estimates suggested that building it would have cost around twice as much as redeveloping their current home. 

In addition, Henry and chairman Tom Werner were attracted to Anfield’s atmosphere and history because it reminded them of the 1912-built Fenway Park, home of the Boston Red Sox baseball team, which they also own. 

Ayre said: “We’ve always said the preference was to stay at Anfield. It’s the heart of the football club. 

“I remember the first time John and Tom came to look at Liverpool before they bought it. I was the person showing them around. When we went into Anfield, John said to me: ‘This is like Fenway. It’s the same feeling. Why would we want to build a new stadium?'”

{jcomments on}

Finca Cortesin Golf Club Joins IMG Prestige

IMG Prestige, site part of IMGWorldwide, remedy the global sports, fashion and media company, has announced that Finca Cortesin Golf Club has joined its exclusive network of clubs offering high-end reciprocal services to some of the finest golfing facilities in the world.

Finca Cortesin Golf Club is one of Spain’s finest golfing destinations. The Club, which is close to the city of Casares, in the province of Málaga, has a Cabell Robinson designed championship course in pristine condition throughout the year and renowned high-levels of hospitality and service.

IMG Prestige’s global reciprocal programme brings together a collection of the finest golfing facilities in the world in recognition of the exceptional experience they provide members and guests both on and off the course.

Finca Cortesin Golf Club members now also have access to preferred rates, discounts, benefits and privileges at an array of stunning locations and joins an illustrious portfolio of venues, including Kingsbarns, Scotland; Carton House, Ireland; The Dutch, Holland; Cape Kidnappers, New Zealand; Legend Golf & Safari Resort, South Africa; and Yas Links in Abu Dhabi amongst many others.

Andreas Döring, Director of Operations, IMG Golf Course Services, London, said: “Since its inauguration, IMG Prestige has gained significant momentum as a reciprocal marketing platform for clubs and resorts from around the world. The addition of Finca Cortesin to this network of premium clubs further reinforces IMG’s commitment to delivering first class services to its partners. We are therefore delighted to welcome Carlos Beautell and his team at Finca Cortesin Golf Club to this select group.”

Carlos Beautell, General Manager, Finca Cortesin Golf Club: said, “It’s an honour to be invited to join such an elite group of golfing destinations and we are delighted that our course conditioning and first-class customer service continues to be recognised within the highest echelons. We strive to align ourselves with exclusive partners and look forward to both welcoming guests and building relationships with partner venues as well as providing our members with exciting offers and benefits to supplement their membership value.”

Finca Cortesin has the unique characteristic that every hole is completely different to the others making the game more enjoyable and it has a great variety of natural vegetation which includes olive trees and corks. The course is all Bermuda419 with agrostis L93 greens and is in immaculate condition all year long with very fast and fair greens.

Designed by world famous golf course architect Mr. Cabell Robinson, it has a proven record of hosting professional golf tournaments. It has hosted The Volvo World Matchplay Championship on three occasions (2009-Ross Fisher, 2011-Ian Poulter & 2012-Nicolas Colsaerts) and provides an exhilarating test for golfers of all abilities.

The Finca Cortesin Golf Academy has the Jack Nicklaus master-franchise for the teaching system designed by the best player of all time. It has a coaching studio with the latest technology and reserved for monitored swing analysis.

The resort includes a world-class 5 star hotel with a 22,000 m² built area and 23,000 m² garden area for just 67 suites. This together with 2,200 m² wellness for mind and body and exclusive beach club for hotel and resort residents ensure an excellent stay to all its guests. The resort also includes a commercial area, restaurants, and the residential area options include luxury villas, with hotel services available and made-to-measure villas.

DFL-Chef Seifert warnt vor zu viel Werbung in den Stadien

Der Vorsitzende der Geschäftsführung der Deutschen Fußball Liga (DFL) Christian Seifert hat sich gegen übermäßige Werbung in der Bundesliga ausgesprochen. Und das nur einen Tag, abortion nachdem die Liga einen neuen Sponsor präsentiert hat.

In einem Interview mit der „Bild“ sagte Seifert: „Die Fans kommen wegen des Fußballs ins Stadion, viagra 60mg nicht wegen der Werbung. Deshalb sollten es Clubs, try aber auch Sponsoren nicht übertreiben.“ Bestätigt wird diese Aussage durch eine SPONSORs-Analyse, die belegt, dass in der laufenden Spielzeit 341 Sponsoren auf TV-relevanten Werbeflächen bei den 18 Bundesligisten werben. Zusammen mit dem TV-Off-Bereich treten sogar noch deutlich mehr Unternehmen in den Stadien werblich in Erscheinung.

Dennoch überraschen die Worte von Seifert zu diesem Zeitpunkt. Denn genau einen Tag zuvor hatte die DFL selbst mit einem Sponsoring-Abschluss den Grundstein für mehr Werbung in den Bundesligastadien gelegt. Das Logistik-Unternehmen Hermes wird ab 1. Januar 2013 Premium-Partner der Liga und soll für das bis Ende der Saison 2016/17 gültige Engagement sieben bis acht Millionen Euro pro Jahr bezahlen.

Als werbliche Flächen belegt das Hamburger Unternehmen unter anderem den linken Trikotärmel der Bundesligaspieler, die Ball-Stele für den offiziellen Spielball und die Schiedsrichtertafel (bislang Grundig). Darüber hinaus wird Hermes unter anderem als Transporteur der Meisterschale auftreten und deren Überbringung zur Ehrung des Titelträgers am letzten Spieltag verantworten.

German MotoGP to Remain at Sachsenring Until 2016

The German MotoGP will continue to be staged at the Sachsenring following a new five-year deal.

The circuit’s place on the 2012 MotoGP calendar had initially been in doubt, but the event was later confirmed as round eight of this year’s championship and the new long-term deal was announced on Friday at Assen.

ADAC in Munich and motorcycle world championship promoter Dorna Sports signed a contract stating that the Sachsenring Management GmbH (Ltd.) will be the organiser whilst, in 2012, the ADAC Saxonia will be responsible for the sporting issues.

“Over the past 10 years, the Sachsenring has become Germany’s mecca of motorbike racing, and the circuit will maintain this reputation in the future, thanks to our new contract,” said ADAC Sport President Hermann Tomczyk. “The Sachsenring Management GmbH will be a reliable and committed partner.”

Saxony’s Prime Minister Stanislaw Tillich added: “It was the explicit aim of Saxony’s administration that the motorcycle grand prix remained at the Sachsenring, and this will be our target also in the future.”

On average, more than 210,000 spectators have attended the Sachsenring motorcycle grand prix races over the past 10 years, making it one of the most popular sport events in Germany.

Dorna Sports CEO Carmelo Ezpeleta, commeted on the deal: “MotoGP is extremely happy with the new agreement reached with ADAC. We think that Sachsering is the best-equipped circuit to host the German GP in the future.

“We also welcome the opportunities the parties involved have given us to reach so many fans of two-wheel racing. This deal is very much in the interest of motorcycling. 

“And this year, Germany’s passionate racing fans can see current Moto2 World Champion Stefan Bradl race in the MotoGP category, where he is currently achieving great results despite it being his first season in the premier-class category.”

This year’s German MotoGP will be held from July 6-8.

Caterham F1 to Move Operations to Old Arrows Factory

Malaysian-owned Caterham F1 have initiated plans to move across England in August to take over the old Arrows and Super Aguri factory near Oxford, the Formula One team announced on Wednesday.

The team had sought the move to Leafield to be closer to others in central England’s ‘Motorsport Valley’, making it easier to recruit and retain staff as well as being within easy reach of Silverstone.

“We propose moving the F1 and GP2 teams to the new site in or around August 2012, giving us ample time to build up the infrastructure required to house all the critical elements of both teams,” owner Tony Fernandes said in a statement.

The Malaysian aviation entrepreneur and Queens Park Rangers owner said the plan was also to move Caterham Cars into a new development and production facility on the same site, while retaining the Hingham factory in Norfolk for composites, technology and innovation.

Caterham competed as Team Lotus last year and Lotus Racing in their debut 2010 season. They announced plans to change their name late last year. They have yet to score a point in Formula One.

“This will be the next chapter in the development of both our motor racing teams and our road car company and gives us the best chance to keep progressing on track and, in future, on the road with Caterham Cars,” Fernandes said.

Lords Given Green Light for Redevelopment

The home of Cricket, allergy Lords, drugs is going to go through a face-lift after the MCC agreed a redevelopment on a “stand-by-stand” basis following a committee meeting.

Several options were put forward by the MCC’s Ground Working Party and considered by the committee before a decision was made to carry out the work in stages and on the club’s freehold land only.

MCC chairman Oliver Stocken revealed the project is likely to begin at the Pavilion End with work on the Tavern and Allen Stands.

Stocken said: “Since the process of looking at the long-term development began some years ago, pills the club has always prioritised the fundamental objective of maintaining and enhancing the reputation of Lord’s as the pre-eminent cricket ground in the world and the global home of cricket.

“The club also made it clear that the Vision for Lord’s project was subject to both the financial viability of the proposed development as a whole and reaching an agreement with the ECB on the number of major matches to be played at Lord’s in the coming years.

“As reported at the AGM earlier this year, the club has committed £3 million since 2008 on this complicated project. During this period, the economic climate has changed substantially.

“However, the club was awarded the Platinum Package of major matches by the ECB in September 2011, and that has provided the committee with the confidence to fund a redevelopment scheme on the club’s freehold land, on its own. This is the course of action that the committee has today decided to pursue.

“MCC would like to thank Almacantar, the property developers with whom we have been working over the last few months, for their work in presenting possible development options to the club.

“Ultimately, the committee agreed on the way forward for the long-term redevelopment of Lord’s, probably beginning at the Pavilion End with the rebuilding and enhancement of the Tavern and Allen Stands, which will provide significantly improved amenities.”

Once the club has produced a revised development plan, supported by a sustainable business plan, consultations will take place with Westminster, the GLA and other interested parties, including the local community. At the end of this process, the approval of MCC members for any scheme will be sought.

NBA Season Moving Closer to Delay after Weekend Labor Talks go Nowhere

The weekends discussions between the NBA and its players union bore no fruit despite owners and players meeting Saturday for more than seven hours in an effort to resolve the long dispute.

The parties are expected to meet today, due to both parties being apparently “miles apart,” according to union executive director Billy Hunter. NBA commissioner David Stern said the two sides will meet in small groups Monday and the larger groups would come back on Tuesday to continue negotiating.

“We’re not near anything, but wherever that is, it’s closer than we were before,” Stern said. “We had a long, engaging and in some ways exhausting two days. We exchanged a lot of ideas, concepts, some may even call proposals, but we don’t get hung up on that.”

Union president Derek Fisher of the Los Angeles Lakers said there were no “major economic discussions.”

Instead, owners and players focused mostly on how to attack the salary cap.

Hunter said: “We want a system that’s somewhat reflective of the system that currently is. They obviously want a hard salary cap. They moved off the hard salary cap, but in the process they’ve coupled a lot of other things with it now that they think they’re entitled to they should make things more competitive. That’s where the conflict or disagreement is.”

Hunter said the union is “not quite comfortable” as to the latest proposal of the NBA’s owners.

On September 23, the league announced its decision to postpone training camps and cancel 43 preseason games. Camps were slated to open October 3 and preseason games were scheduled to begin six days later. All exhibition games from October 9 through October 15 have been canceled.

Coming into the weekend, Stern said he wanted to see significant progress in the talks. There was even a report that he would threaten the cancellation of the season to the players if that progress was not made.

“If we didn’t think there was any hope, we wouldn’t be scheduling the meetings,” Stern said of Monday’s and Tuesday’s expected negotiations. “That’s the best I would say right now.”

The regular season is set to open November 1, provided there is a new collective bargaining agreement in time.

Stern added: “Our desire would be to not cancel. We had been hopeful that this weekend would be a broader marker, but for reasons which we understand the players suggested we resume on Monday and we said ‘fine.'”

Hunter added that owners still want players to receive 46 percent of basketball-related income in a new deal and not the 57 percent that was in the last labor agreement.

The NBA locked out its players on July 1 after the most recent labor deal between the two sides expired. Unlike the labor strife that caused NFL lockout, which long appeared to be solvable, the problems facing the NBA have led observers to warn about a prolonged dispute like the one that canceled the 2004-05 NHL season.

NFL and PA Agree to 24-Hour Discussion Extension

An agreement was reached before the midnight (ET) expiration deadline of the current collective bargaining agreement (CBA) to extend the labour talks for a further 24-hours, between the National Football League Players’ Association (NFLPA) and the League to avoid a potential lockout for at least one more day.

The League-owned NFL Network reported the extension on negotiations beyond the original deadline of midnight eastern time on Thursday to the same time today, Friday 4 March.

Both parties have been in negotiations with a federal mediator over the past week after talks over how to divide the NFL’s US$9 billion annual revenues had reached stalemate. Other key issues include the expansion of the regular season to an 18-game schedule, a rookie wage scale and pensions for former players.

The announcement of an extension came just hours after US President Barack Obama urged the warring sides to reach a deal without the need for political intervention.

Speaking at a press conference at the White House, Obama stated: “We’ve got owners, most of whom are worth close to a billion dollars. You’ve got players who are making millions of dollars. My working assumption at a time when people are having to cut back, compromise and worry about making the mortgage and pay for their kids’ college educations is that the two parties should be able to work it out without the President of the United States intervening.”