World Series of Fighting Confirms Broadcast Terms with NBC Sports

By Community | September 9, 2012

New MMA promotion, World Series of Fighting has reaffirmed its broadcast arrangement with NBC Sports Network for a one-year deal following confusion regarding the terms.

The World Series of Fighting President, Ray Sefo said that his company does hold a one-year contract with the cable network, but his goal of eventually hosting eight-to-10 events per year on the channel will be a discussion held after the Nov. 3 debut.

“Yesterday, I stated that the World Series of Fighting holds a one-year deal with NBC Sports and that we will be doing eight-to-10 fights per year,” Sefo said in a statement issued to MMAjunkie.com. “To clarify, we have an agreement with NBC Sports Network to air the Nov.  event and to rebroadcast on Sunday, Nov 4. If all goes well, World Series of Fighting and NBC Sports will look at broadcasting more events. The remaining terms will remain private.”

Sefo made his initial comments at Thursday’s World Series of Fighting announcement press conference in Las Vegas. However, his clarification comes after an MMA Fighting report revealed the deal was only for one event. 

Sources close to the promotion indicated the deal allows for NBC Sports to replay the debut event for up to one year, and an NBC Sports Network representative confirmed the contract does not currently call for any additional programming from World Series of Fighting. However, the promotion’s representatives remain hopeful a successful first event will lead to many more fight cards on the channel’s airwaves.

“We are happy to be on NBC Sports Network and look forward to having our first fight and enjoying a great relationship with them,” Sefo said.

World Series of Fighting 1 takes place Nov. 3 at Las Vegas’ Planet Hollywood Resort & Casino. As reported previously, it will be headlined by former WEC bantamweight champ and recently released UFC fighter Miguel Torres (40-5).

Comment.

NO comments

Leave a Reply