Tambay hits back at Ecclestone comments over Monaco
By Community | July 23, 2010
Formula One veteran Patrick Tambay has reacted to F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone’s comments that the Monaco Grand Prix would not be a loss if it was replaced on the calendar.
Earlier this week, Ecclestone suggested that Monaco, along with some other European GPs, would need to raise its game financially to compete with countries eager to join the race calendar.
He said: “The Europeans are going to have to pay more money or we will have to go somewhere else. We can do without Monaco [if] they don’t pay enough.”
But now Tambay has responded, saying that dropping Monaco would be a risky move.
He said: “It is the highlight of the season and of the grand prix, with which partners and sponsors from around the world want to be involved.
“There are things that probably need to be put straight, and there are clearly plenty of candidates who want to organise new grands prix, while the other pay fees that may need to be revised upwards, but all of this is a matter of negotiations that Bernie Ecclestone is currently conducting with the Automobile Club de Monaco.”
India is due to join the F1 schedule next year, with the USA and Russia both expected to join the calendar in the next few seasons too.