Renault seals double engine deals
By Community | November 8, 2010
Renault announced a double coup on Friday by agreeing engine supply deals with Red Bull and Lotus Racing.
Both contracts cover next season as well as 2012, and mean Renault join Mercedes, Ferrari and Cosworth in supporting three teams on the grid.
The extension of the arrangement with Red Bull will now run to six years as the team and manufacturer initially joined forces in 2007. As for Lotus, they were able to break free of a three-year tie-up with Cosworth earlier this season, with Friday’s confirmation of a Renault partnership unsurprising in Formula One circles.
Bernard Rey, president of Renault Sport, said: “Renault is delighted to announce an expanded agreement with Red Bull and the arrival of a new customer.
“These new agreements mean Renault engines will power three teams next year – in simple terms, 25% of the cars on the grid.
“We remain firm believers in the benefits of our successful involvement in F1. It positions Renault as a technological leader, and boosts awareness of the brand across the globe.”
In recognition of the new deal with Red Bull, Renault branding will feature more strongly on the cars and drivers’ helmets, starting with this weekend’s Brazilian Grand Prix.
Team principal Christian Horner said: “We have always enjoyed a very straightforward relationship with Renault. They have supported us extremely fairly during the past four seasons, contributing to our 13 grand prix victories so far.
“The relationship continues to evolve and we look forward to working with them during our 2011 Formula One World Championship campaign.”
Lotus Racing owner Tony Fernandes added: “There has obviously been a great deal of speculation about which engine will be powering our cars from 2011, and now the announcement has been made I think everyone can see just how ambitious we really are.”