O2 Ends Long-term Cork GAA Sponsorship
By Community | November 1, 2012
Gaelic Athletic Association team Cork GAA are searching for a new sponsor after telecommunications company, O2 announced it was not going to renew it’s sponsorship of the club.
O2’s deal, which had been in place to cover football and hurling since 1998, won’t be renewed into 2013.
A joint statement from the Cork county board and O2 yesterday confirmed that their sponsorship partnership will conclude when the contract ends on December 31st, 2012 – and with that begins the search to find a replacement.
“We are obviously very sorry to lose O2 as sponsors of Cork GAA, after 15 mutually successful years,” said Cork chairman Bob Ryan.
“The county board officers, our hurling and football Players, our team managements and our supporters have enjoyed an excellent relationship with O2, and with its executives and representatives.
“We wish to thank them for their partnership and generous support over the years. We are currently in negotiations with a number of interested parties about the sponsorship of Cork GAA from 2013 onwards.”
Eugene Mitchell, marketing director at O2, said: “We have enjoyed a tremendous relationship with the Cork county board since 1998, during which time we have shared in many memorable moments and achievements by the footballers and hurlers, including 26 national and 46 Munster titles.
“On behalf of O2, we wish continued good fortune to all Cork teams and their loyal fans for the future.”