2014 Sochi Formula 1 Race in Doubt After Russia Miss Deadline
August 2, 2013
The Russian Automobile Federation (RAF) has failed to submit its application to hold a Formula 1 race in Sochi in 2014 putting the proposed race in serious doubt.
Doubts had been cast over the status of the event after a dispute between the RAF and the organisers, who had set October 19 as the date of the race.
Disputes in marshalling personnel, commercial and intellectual property rights to the grand prix and the length of the contract have caused the issue.
Work had already begun on the venue, but the deadline of July 31 set out by the International Automobile Federation (FIA) was missed.
A statement issued by the RAF said: “The application to the FIA for submitting the Russian Grand Prix to the 2014 Formula 1 calendar was not sent in proper time as JSC Omega (Promoter) didn’t fulfil the necessary conditions.
“That is: [it] didn’t sign a contract with the Russian Grand Prix organiser, didn’t sign a deal for an application submission and also didn’t pay a fee to the FIA for including an event on the FIA F1 calendar.
“RAF informs that it is ready to include the Russian Grand Prix on to the FIA calendar under force-majeure conditions, permissible by the FIA, as soon as the promoter fulfils all the necessary formalities.”
The force majeure measure is now the only remaining option for the RAF to host a Russian GP in Sochi.
Sergey Ivanov, CEO of RAF, said: “The F1 grand prix of Sochi gave a huge boost to develop the system of staff preparation.
“Until the end of 2012, we received grants from the FIA to organise seminars as well as do other work. Now we need to continue that programme and broaden it, which requires additional funding for the RAF.”