World Rugby is the world governing and law-making body for the sport of Rugby Union based in Dublin. In addition to its governance functions World Rugby has established a new part of its organisation – World Rugby Events (Events Co) – which is charged with organising and delivering major international events such as the Rugby World Cups – men’s and women’s, the annual World Rugby Sevens Series and the developmental Women’s XV international tournament.
World Rugby is now on a mission to innovate to excite, inspire and engage new audiences in existing and new rugby markets to grow the sport for all. Through World Rugby Events, the delivery of these major tournaments under a new model will be key to the success of a ten-year strategic plan which will culminate in ground-breaking tournaments in the USA in 2031 and 2033 played by men and women respectively. And as part of this mission the Sevens World Series will be relaunched for the 2023-24 season as a vibrant festival with rugby at the centre, surrounded by music, premium food experiences and participation opportunities. This new Sevens World Series will show case rugby in its Olympic Games format and will act a crucial front door for existing and new fans to experience the wonder of the sport in a fabulous festival atmosphere.
Under the new model, World Rugby will have a more direct role in the setting up, running and delivery of its events and aims to be the leader in the delivery of major international events. There is an exciting transition from the old hosting model, and the new – with Events Co Local Operating Companies (LOCs) in each of the respective territories for Rugby World Cups and a Sevens World Series Business Unit for leading the delivery of the World Series events.
With the focus on the Sevens World Series, World Rugby intends to appoint an Event Oversight Director, reporting to the Head of Sevens Event Planning and Delivery. The position will play a critical role in the delivery of operational plans, standards and guidance rolled out and utilised across all Sevens World Series events and will have the responsibility of overseeing the planning and delivery of the rugby, participation, and experiential elements of the events in each host city to the highest possible quality and safety.
1. Event Planning and Delivery oversight
- Reporting to the Head of Sevens Event Planning and Delivery, ensure proactive oversight of the operational delivery of designated Sevens World Series events in allocated cities
- Build effective relationships with all stakeholders involved in the designated events in cities allocated to the role – Event Delivery Partners, venue owner staff, local city authorities, contractors, commercial partners, suppliers
- Liaise with internal World Rugby Functional Areas – Competitions, Ticketing, Commercial, Marketing, Content and Brand teams
- Support the co-ordination of delivery requirements for all Sevens World Series events across internal World Rugby Functional Areas and Event Delivery Partners, contractors and suppliers – rugby, participation elements and experiential elements to ensure the full integration of activity and successful integrated delivery
- Oversee the conduct of effective Integrated Venue and Event operational planning sessions with all key stakeholders – to ensure quality outcomes and safe delivery are achieved by the Event Delivery partners and other stakeholders to World Rugby standards
- Ensure that Event Day C3 (Command, Co-ordination and Communication) arrangements meet with World Rugby expectations, standards and frameworks for successful event delivery
2. Participating Team Mobility oversight
- Provide oversight for the logistical arrangements put in place by World Rugby for international travel for the teams and officials and with the Event Delivery Partners for local transport, logistics and accommodation arrangements
- Liaise with EventsCo internal Functional Areas to ensure the appropriate management and administration for the Teams mobility arrangements
3. Workforce Delivery oversight
- Working with EventsCo Workforce Planning and Operations department to ensure appropriate workforce resources are planned by each of the Event Delivery Partners, contractors and commercial partners plus local emergency services staff and other represented bodies
- Oversee the arrangements for achievement of recruitment and training targets by the Event delivery Partners, contractors and commercial partners as well as the required levels of appropriately accredited staff
4. Venue and Facility co-ordination
- Oversee the creation of detailed operational plans, budgets and forward planning schedules, including the coordination of build schedules and site planning
- Co-ordinate with all relevant parties to ensure accurate space allocations, client flows and key equipment placements are fully understood and represented on CADs and Maps
- Co-ordinate to ensure event security, health and safety obligations are being met in accordance with the laws of the territory
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
- Experience in major international events management, specifically in the planning and delivery of complex events involving multiple stakeholders, requiring integrated planning and execution – across multiple client groups including elite sporting teams and officials, international broadcasters, media, spectators, guests,
- Demonstrable success in planning and delivering at venue and event level – preferably with multiple activations occurring on the same site
- Demonstrable success in working in a collegiate manner to achieve outstanding outcomes at specific event level – with an emphasis on delivery of experiential elements
- Experience in a fast-paced environment and capable of moving seamlessly between strategic, tactical and operational levels of activity
- Experience dealing with budgets, enterprise system tools and project management tools.
- Positive, outgoing personality – collaborative, persistent, resilient and diplomatic.
- Ability to forge strong relationships and a team player
- Extensive relevant working experience in the events industry
- Excellent leadership and interpersonal skills
- Insightful understanding of the mechanics of sporting organizations and key senior stakeholder management
- A team player who takes pride in delivering world class events and will contribute to a high-performing team
- Ability to work autonomously, under pressure and make sound decisions fast
- Share and embrace World Rugby’s core values; Discipline, Respect, Integrity, Passion and Solidarity through teamwork
- Excellent planning and organisation skills
- Experienced in all MS Office programmes (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)