About British Weight Lifting
British Weight Lifting (BWL) is the national governing body for Olympic weightlifting and WPPO para-powerlifting in Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Successful funding bids to Sport England and UK Sport provide a strong platform on which to build the sport.
As the leading provider of lifting focused competition, education and development opportunities for lifters and coaches, BWL will look to tackle inequalities over the next funding cycle as well as build on 2021 performance successes to deliver competitive weightlifting and power lifting teams for the 2024 Paris Olympics and Paralympics.
NED Job Purpose
To make an effective and positive contribution to the Board of British Weight Lifting.
The directors are empowered to direct the Chief Executive and Management Team, to provide independent strategic advice and to guide BWL to long-term growth and success.
CARE – maintain integrity and respectful relations with all our stakeholders, customers, partners, suppliers, BWL employees and communities
SHARE – expertise, knowledge, passion, enjoyment and innovation
DARE – to make a difference to solve problems and achieve goals that drive performance and the sport forwards in a collaborative manner
- To attend four to five Board meetings per year and two Committee meetings per year as a minimum and contribute appropriately to ensure that the corporate objectives of British Weight Lifting, key performance indicators and the overall vision for the whole of the sport are achieved within the budget set by the Board. Attendance by video link for some at some Board meetings is occasionally utilised
- Provide strategic insight and support to the Chief Executive and Senior Management Team To attend the Annual General Meeting each year
- Where appropriate, act as Board appointee to an appropriate Committee and undertake the roles and responsibilities set out in the applicable job description for that position
- Support and participate/attend appropriate activities, competitions and events to raise the profile of British Weight Lifting
- Prepare appropriately for each Board meeting and to keep up to date with current developments within weightlifting and para-powerlifting and more generally in the broader sporting environment
- Participate in an agreed annual appraisal and review process for Board members
- Strong Analytical skills, the ability to present own views in a clear, concise manner.
- Board level experience of setting strategic plans and working to defined objectives
- Experience of good practice in corporate governance
- Experience of setting, monitoring and managing a budget
- Comprehensive literacy and numeracy skills Senior experience of Strategic Management
- Knowledge of the sporting landscape Knowledge and experience of the requirements of high performance sport and their participants
- Experience of working in a senior capacity, preferably at board level in financial management and/or a financial context and a relevant professional qualification
- Experience of working in a senior capacity, preferably at board level at of Marketing and Communications, Commercial and/or Events Management
- Previous experience of high level committee activity in a voluntary or not for profit organisation
Competencies (For guidance only)
- Builds effective relationships with the Chairman, fellow Board members and Chief Executive ensuring all are committed to the common purpose
- Builds effective relationships with external partners as required by the Board
- Expresses, both orally and in writing, ideas and information in ways that are accurate, appropriate, concise and persuasive
- Listens actively to individuals and organisations so that needs are identified, innovates to meet those needs and checks that needs have been met
- Listens actively to all fellow Board members, ensuring that their views are heard and respected
- Solves problems creatively by, identifying the issue, evaluating the alternatives and finding innovative solutions
- Can see opportunities and originate action in pursuit of achievement of British Weight Lifting’s vision, corporate plan and strategic goals
- Identifies learning and development needs for self and willingness to undertake relevant training Follows the principles of good corporate governance and British Weight Lifting’s Code of Conduct Declaration
- Sets high standards for self and others and is dissatisfied with average performance Able to commit sufficient time to fulfil a voluntary role effectively
How to Apply
Please submit a CV along with a covering letter (ideally as one document) stating your interest in the role and relevant experience to the required criteria, to email: email@example.com
If you would like a discussion regarding the role in the first instance, please email Daryl Mason on the above address.
Closing date for applications: 13th June 2022
Commitment to Equality
BWL is a recognised equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion, belief and gender. BWL welcomes new ideas and perspectives. This ethos has seen us create an incredibly committed, professional and skilled team that is at the heart of everything we do. Furthermore, we are dedicated to helping our staff fulfil their potential and continually encourage professional development at every opportunity.