England Rugby or Rugby Football Union (RFU) is the national governing body for rugby in England. We deliver three core activities, and our purpose is to enrich lives, introduce more people to rugby union and develop the sport for future generations. Our core activities are:
• Rugby – supporting rugby from grassroots to performance level
• Commercial – building partnerships and hosting matches and events
• Running the business – ensuring our organization and people can thrive
At England Rugby, one of our core objectives is to drive rugby union to better reflect the diversity of society. We are aware that rugby, and sports in general, has not always been as welcoming an environment for everyone as we would like, and we are working hard to make rugby a more inclusive space for all identities.
We believe hiring people from underrepresented groups into positions at all levels is vital to creating spaces and initiatives that better support those identities. We would love to see applications from disabled people, LGBTQ+ people, people from ethnically diverse communities, people of faith, people from lower socio-economic backgrounds, and women and non-binary people.
We know that representation is more than just getting people through the door, it’s about keeping people by responding to structural barriers relating to identities and valuing the insights that different lived experiences bring. We have network groups that provide peer-to-peer support and drive forward change internally. We support colleagues to develop, and each colleague has access to a personal coaching platform that can provide same-day one-to-one coaching. We are pushing ourselves to create a more inclusive culture every day through role modelling our BACK behaviours which stand for Brave, Accountable, Collaborative and Keep improving.
We know that flexible working is important to our colleagues, so our guiding principles are designed to support everyone to work in the way that suits them, their teams, and the organization in the best way.
We want you to have every opportunity to demonstrate your skills, ability and potential. If there is anything we could do to support you through your application or to provide the best environment for your interviews, including assistance or adjustment, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Title : Digital Transformation Office Lead
Department : Strategy & Insights
Reports to : Director of Strategy & Transformation
Salary Banding : £75,000 – £85,000
Job Level : Translate
Location : Hybrid (Twickenham/Remote)
Duration : Fixed Term Contract (24 months)
Nature and scope:
The RFU has been undergoing a period of significant change, responding to changes in the external environment whilst adjusting to the demands of a modern commercial governing body. The organisation is currently one year into delivering an exciting strategic plan that hopes to have a transformational impact on Rugby Union.
As part of this strategic plan, the RFU has an ambition to become a data-driven, user-centric organisation with market-leading digital capabilities that will not only transform the rugby experience for players, volunteers, and fans today but also future proof the RFU for years to come.
The Digital Transformation Office Lead will play a critical role in driving this programme of change, ensuring the initiatives that have been approved by the RFU Board are planned, delivered, and reported in a way that optimises programme ROI. The role will have direct management responsibilities for the Transformation Office but will also be required to manage a number of third-party vendors and influence a range of stakeholders across the RFU, including Board and Executive staff.
Overall delivery of the programme
• Manage the companywide digital transformation which will have significant CAPEX investment and annual OPEX
• Maintain an overall view of the Change Programme portfolio and track its progress against the agreed timetable identifying or recognising and resolving dependencies, conflicts, cross-project issues and risks
• Establish and operate effective programme governance that gives assurance to the RFU Board that the multi-million-pound investment is being utilized effectively
• Facilitate cross-project meetings to ensure appropriate resolution of risks and issues (“deep dive sessions”)
• Ensure that processes are in place to support successful delivery of transformation, including sufficient controls to highlight any risks to the transformation
• Work with a multitude of suppliers to ensure the delivery of the RFU’s transformation roadmap
• Work with internal and external colleagues to understand the overall programme finance process, financial budgets and actuals for the overall Change Programme. Ensure the budgets and actuals appropriately reflect project and programme budgets and are reported in a timely way
Communication and change management
• Work with the Strategy & Transformation Director to ensure that the wide RFU business is adapting to the digital transformation
• Define the monthly Change Programme communications that are distributed to the RFU Leadership Team and relevant internal and external stakeholders
• Develop and deliver executive messaging to senior internal and external stakeholders
• Proactively seek opportunities to engage the RFUs key stakeholders on programme matters including benefits and progress updates
Transformation Office team & programme leadership
• Set the strategic direction for the company Transformation Office and lead the team to deliver company transformation goals
• Establishing the Transformation Office as a value adding resource and ensure that all staff are aware of its offerings
• Indirect management responsibilities for a number of third party or cross organizational resources
• Collaborate and partner with technical and operational teams to gather business requirements, evaluate priorities and ensure a smooth delivery
• Actively collaborate with colleagues to contribute to the development and delivery of the current strategic, business and operational plans
• Act as an ambassador for, and promote the best interests of the RFU, including the promotion of the RFU core values and BACK culture.
• Undertake such other duties as may be required from time to time as are consistent with the responsibilities of the post and the needs of the organisation
The skills and attributes outlined in this description are not exhaustive and we welcome candidates who can bring different relevant experiences to the role
Qualifications, skills & experience:
• Must demonstrate competence through previous relevant experience initiating and managing large digital transformational projects
• Strong programme planning experience and ability to manage effectively within scope, timelines, budget and quality
• Experience working in both agile and waterfall environments
• Experience and knowledge of financial and management accounting
• Competence in people management and ability to lead or support in-house and third-party teams
• Strong communication skills with the ability to influence and drive change
• Experience working with product teams
• Influencing, consensus building, and sustaining relationships – with the ability to work collaboratively
• Ability to get up to speed quickly on new issues and to make sound judgement on them
• Ability to plan and delegate workload effectively
• Ability to constructively challenge Executive level staff
• The skills to manage conflicting agendas and personalities to ensure teams can focus on delivering for the long-term good of the business
• Committed to actively contributing and building an inclusive BACK culture in your role and day to day behaviours
What we can offer you
We are proud of the range of benefits we can provide:
• Retail discounts include 30% off Adidas, 20% off Optimum Nutrition, 25% off 02 and many more.
• Priority access to purchase match tickets
• 25% discount in Rugby Store and EnglandRugby.com
• 25 days of annual leave and your birthday day off
• Free dental care and free access to the stadium gym
• Life assurance of 4x your basic salary, income protection scheme and Employee Assistance Programme that offers anonymous and confidential, emotional and practical support 24/7.
• After 3 months, you will be enrolled in our Aviva pension scheme and we will match and double your contribution up to 10%
• Ride-to-work scheme, eyecare vouchers and season ticket loans
About our team
At England Rugby, we want to hear our employees’ thoughts, ideas and feedback on our strategies, new initiatives and our work environment. That’s why we have quarterly meetings called ‘the Voice’ where various topics are discussed, in addition to regular surveys, including our annual D&I survey.
We are always striving to create the best environment for our colleagues, and we are proud to present some of our most recent feedback from Feb 2022:
• 85% feel motivated to perform their role to the best of their ability
• 83% feel supported by their Manager
• 90% agree or strongly agree that their Manager empowers and trusts them to deliver while working from home
• 83% feel informed and connected with the organisation