Extreme E is a global motorsports series. A sport for purpose that is racing on a mission to break the boundaries of traditional motorsport and ultimately be an effective platform for creating positive change.
Extreme E uses electric off-road racing to take sports fans on a journey to the most remote corners of the planet, highlighting the devastating effects climate change is having on our environment, showcasing revolutionary green technologies, and getting outside of the usual echo chambers of science and sustainability content. It’s also the first ever motorsport with a fully gender equal sporting format, in which male and female drivers race equally together in the same team and competition.
Winners of Leaders in Sport 2021’s Sustainability Award, Extreme E is dedicated to ensuring the mission for promoting ways its participants, fans and partners can make real difference to our world, and this is a very exciting opportunity to join the journey and be part of our “electric odyssey”.
Extreme E is in its second season, having raced in Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Greenland, Italy and the United Kingdom in 2021. The 2022 calendar includes race events in Italy, Chile and Uruguay.
Working at Extreme E
At Extreme E we have created an environment that supports our colleagues to perform at their best. We are innovative, curious and we love the world we live in which is why we value sustainability. We believe that work should be fun and whilst we are passionate about delivery, we are one team and supporting each other is key to our success.
Purpose of the Job
As Head of Marketing, you will support the CMO in the growth of the Extreme E international brand. You will develop marketing strategies that form an intrinsic part of our ambitious global strategy, to which you will be a key contributor. This is a broad ranging role which is pivotal in ensuring we grow our brand awareness, fan base and impact in the sports/entertainment world.
We’re looking for an accomplished marketing professional who has a firm understanding of how to take a brand from its start-up infancy to one that is respected worldwide in its domain. A key part of the role will be to grow and engage new audiences and integrate new marketing ideas to drive the growth of a portfolio of international sporting events. They will be responsible for driving the company B2C brand, marketing and event experience across
Extreme E is focused on driving a significant uplift in brand awareness and this role needs to support and deliver this step change. Success is measured in terms of full attendance of races and a significant uplift in TV viewership. In order to become a mass market sport, Extreme E needs to engage a much larger population who can be converted into viewers of the live racing show.
Responsibilities (Role and Personal)
This is a full time position for an experienced Head of Marketing based in central London, and will involve:
- Line Management of two people
- Brand Development
- Brand Design, Architecture & Strategy. Be a brand leader and guardian; issuing guidelines and ensuring consistency.
- Brand Execution & Delivery. Ensure it is consistently represented internally and externally across product, service, advertising including the at race branding for the event and for TV broadcast.
- Marketing to drive brand awareness, event attendance & TV viewership
- B2C Marketing Strategy. Working with the CMO to develop overall strategy and objectives for each local race market as well as for Global initiatives, with budget & ROI analysis and agency/supplier selection
- Customer Insights, Research Support and ROI. Undertake customer segmentation and other relevant insights and analysis to ensure continual Fanbase and viewership growth.
- Fan Acquisition & Retention
- CRM & Data collection and activation – development of global and local Fan acquisition and retention programme. Development of global email marketing programme to support event as well as series growth goals.
- B2C & Fan Experience. Grow media reach & brand reputation by growing brand awareness, acquiring Fans and working with event experience team to engaging Fans through smart marketing & event experience design.
- Merchandising strategy and operations – working with the externally appointed agency develop a season on season range that drives brand awareness locally and globally.
- Partner Marketing
• A key deliverable for brand growth is ensuring there is a holistic calendar of activity that is optimised across all Teams and promoters of the Championship. Working with the marketing teams of teams such as General Motors, Cupra and McLaren to jointly grow the awareness of the Championship.
Desired skills and experiences:
- To be successful in the Head of Marketing role, you must be analytical and creative. You will be knowledgeable in a variety of marketing and brand disciplines with demonstrable success in B2C and an understanding of B2B.
- You will have experienced a wide range of marketing disciplines including media planning and buying as well as agency management and creative briefs.
- In addition to this core skill set you will be digitally experienced in terms of ad execution, customer acquisition and retention.
- You would have tried and learned many different techniques and tactics in your career and in order to remain at the top of your game you will be innately curious about new trends while remaining passionate about the fans.
- Extreme E is a fast paced and dynamic organisation so you will need to demonstrate a structured entrepreneurial commercial ability, and be comfortable with working in a change driven environment. You will have the gravitas, confidence and experience to be seen as a marketing subject expert, with excellent communication skills and high emotional intelligence to engage, lead and influence key stakeholders and the marketing team.
- You will be mentally agile, a high level thinker with a global mindset and recognised as a completer-finisher. You will not be afraid to step outside your comfort zone to constructively challenge and contribute to the marketing, and wider commercial strategy, with senior leadership and key stakeholders.
- You will have a consultative and collaborative working style with the determination, enthusiasm and creativity to quickly resolve problems and set a clear path for success. You will have high expectations levels for detail and quality and seek continuous improvement personally and from your teams.
- As a team leader you will demonstrate dynamism, energy and enthusiasm which encourages others to be the same. You will implement work methods which drive results through co-operation.
- You will currently be operating within the marketing arena of a globally respected brand will be recognised as a top-performer within that business or have substantial previous relevant experience. You will have experience of working at an international level