NBA Nigeria is seeking an experienced sales/marketing professional for the New Business Development team. This position plays a key role in generating new sponsorship revenue for NBA Nigeria.
The ideal candidate must be a dynamic team player, with excellent storytelling, communication, and negotiation skills. The successful candidate will be implementing the new business development strategy with a focus on new partnership development – prospecting, pitching, negotiating and securing new marketing partners. The role will require frequent travel throughout the region and will work closely with the Marketing, Media, Events, and other groups to create and drive new revenue streams.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of the business development strategy for NBA Nigeria
- Build relationships with senior-level decision makers at prospective sponsors, relevant marketing agencies, event management companies, and promoters to generate new partners and other new business opportunities.
- Manage the sales process from proposal to deal memo submission and contract execution by liaising with other departments (Legal, Finance, etc.)
- Adapt current NBA marketing programs and create new initiatives tailored to NBA Nigeria
- Maintain a database of highly valuable targets and opportunities
- Monitor the activity of other sports and entertainment properties in the region.
- Prospect, target, pitch and secure NBA Nigeria sponsorship, event and media partnerships.
- Develop and maximize networking opportunities with potential and existing sponsors and relevant marketing agencies
- Understand the prospect’s brand DNA and design sales presentations to reflect brand synergies and positioning.
- Deliver impactful on-brand and on-target partnership programs for new business prospects.
- Use storytelling to effectively sell-in partnership ideas to new business prospects.
- Develop, visualize and present customized partnership solutions for prospective sponsors.
- Facilitate ideation by leading cross-functional brainstorms to inform creative solutions
- Liaise with colleagues globally across the NBA to uncover business development opportunities.
- Maintain a strong understanding of industry marketing channels and technologies that clients may utilize in activating an NBA Nigeria sponsorship.
- Establish and develop close relationships with all the NBA NY global account teams, ensuring that they are proactively informed about all the NBA NIGERIA plans, initiatives, and projects.
- Develop and execute a detailed and coherent plan focused on engaging the NBA NY global account teams with exciting and consistent presentations, aiming to get them on board with all the NBA NIGERIA plans, initiatives and projects so those can be considered as key components for all global or regional new partnership opportunities and upsells.
- Represent the NBA NIGERIA in global pitches and status meetings, providing relevant information and insights about the NBA NIGERIA’s plans, initiatives and projects, while also outlining clearly how current and potential global partners would receive value through those.
- Successful track record building business in Nigeria; must have a strong understanding of the market and a network of relationships across all sectors of Nigeria’s marketing and media landscape.
- Creative storyteller with the ability to sell conceptually.
- High-level connectivity – client-side and sponsorship/marketing community in general.
- Ability to attain and exceed targets.
- This should involve delivering integrated programs that include media, print, interactive and event-based assets.
- Entrepreneurial approach with a strong understanding of business fundamentals.
- A track record of securing sponsorship contracts for rights holders in sports.
- Knowledge of TV and digital sales, merchandising and communications.
- Ability to develop creative solutions which will meet the objectives of prospective partners.
- Experience working within a structured corporate environment.
- Business knowledge – being up to date with business/market/industry trends.
- A thorough understanding of the sports landscape (basketball and NBA knowledge preferable).
- Experience working for a high-profile global organization.
- Minimum of 8 years of sales and/or business development experience.
- Strategic thinker – able to shape, develop and execute the strategy for the NBA Strong persuading and negotiation skills.
- A credible communicator, adept at operating at the board level.
- Commercially minded and results-driven.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Ability to work well within a matrixed organization.
- Corporate Banking experience is an advantage.
- A passion for sports is preferred.
- Required Bachelor’s degree required
Reporting to the NBAA Africa Event Lead, the Events Project Manager will be responsible for the planning, executing and project management of events and basketball programs as required by NBAA. The role includes management/support of all operational, administrative, financial and logistical aspects of event planning and execution.
The event and operations objectives of the NBAA include the following:
Conduct top-level, first-class professional basketball and partner related events across Africa Build the popularity and awareness of basketball and NBA across Africa Ensure consistency in the delivery of each event across the various markets Maximize budget and find synergies between each event/venue.
This role will report directly to the Events Lead, helping to progress all aspects of NBAA events. This position will encompass 65% travel in support of programs and partner deliverables across the continent.
- Key contributor to the planning and execution of NBAA events (e.g., basketball activities, hospitality events, fan activities, festivals, concerts etc.).
- Develop client event strategies and recommend the budget, operational planning, and objectives within approve plans.
- Create and manage event planning and execution templates.
- Manage all NBA event related admin as it pertains to all supporting departments, legal, finance, basketball operations, compliance, risk, health and safety Contribute in Game Presentation and In-Arena Fan Experience, in cooperation with Live Program and Entertainment team Support management of event budgets, including tracking all event-related expenses.
- Support management of agencies & vendors including market research, contracting process and on-going management Lead management of internal processes across due diligence and contractual deliverables for event related vendors and suppliers.
- Support creative development for events, including management of the agency and internal processes Support management of logistics company responsible for event equipment and logistics.
- Support Global Partnerships on partner deliverables including managing partners activations at venues .
- Assist development and execution of on-site and post-event research
- Produce and manage fact sheets for each event, including the development of event recaps & evaluations.
- Maintain open and ongoing communication lines with the events teams in NBA and BAL offices, including Dakar, Johannesburg, London, and New York/New Jersey.
- Verbal and written fluency in the English.
- Minimum of 7 years of relevant global events experience
- Demonstrated track record of managing events, preferably in the sports industry.
- Available to work occasional weekends
- Available to work across US/UK/SA time zones
- Portuguese and French language skills, a plus
- Ability to work independently in a complex and dynamic environment Ability to develop strong relationships, both internally and externally, to execute successful events, based on stated objectives.
- Demonstrate high competency in events planning and operations
- Team-player, self-motivated and goal-oriented
- Basketball knowledge and affinity, a plus
- Must have a track record of successful budget oversight/management
- Possess effective communication skills (verbal and written) with the ability to resolve issues
- Able to multi-task, prioritize, and meet deadlines
- Detail-oriented and very well organized .
- High level of proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Willingness to travel significantly across Africa Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required