Japan Withdraws from Copa America Soccer Tournament

By Community | April 5, 2011

Japan has withdrawn from this summer’s Copa America soccer tournament as the country deals with the March 11 earthquake and tsunami that devastated its northeast region.

Japan had been invited, having been crowned champions of Asia, alongside Mexico to play as guest nations in South America’s continental championship, which will take place July 1-25 in Argentina.

Japanese Football Association president Junji Ogura said on the South American Football Confederation (CONMEBOL) website: “The priority at this moment is to continue saving lives and rebuilding the country. We are sorry to be pulling out.”

CONMEBOL President Nicolas Leoz said in a statement that he “deeply lamented” Japan’s withdrawal from the 12-nation event and that he’d consult other members of the organization to decide what to do with the vacant place in the tournament.

Comment.

NO comments

Leave a Reply