IOC to Look Into FIFA Bribery Scandal
By Community | July 16, 2012
Following the revelations of the ISL documents IOC president Jacques Rogge will discuss the matter in a IOC board meeting.
The revelations of the ISL court file which names two senior FIFA figures, Joao Havelange and Ricardo Teixeira as having taken bribes. The IOC look to delve deeper into the scandal.
“I expect them to be discussed at the executive board, of course,” IOC president Jacques Rogge said in a conference call on Monday.
He ruled out, however, any sanctions against Havelange, who was the oldest IOC member when he resigned in December days before facing an ethics hearing.
Rogge also said by resigning, Havelange was no longer part of the Olympic family, neither as a member nor as an honorary member.
“Mr Havelange is not any more a member and he does not fall under IOC rules. That goes without saying. Mr Havelange has resigned as member and he is not eligible to become honorary member.”
ISL sold the commercial rights to broadcast World Cup tournaments on behalf of FIFA. It collapsed with debts of around $300 million in 2001.
Blatter, who has been with FIFA since 1975, and succeeded Havelange as president in 1998, said last week he knew that payments were being made. He referred to them as “commission” and said they were not illegal at the time.
Havelange is still FIFA’s honorary president while Teixeira quit his post earlier this year, shortly after resigning as president of the Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF).