Formula E Outlines Strategy for Second Season
By Community | September 30, 2014
Formula E boss Alejandro Agag has revealed his plans for the second season of the fully-electric FIA Formula E Championship in which he hopes to attract ‘three or four’ manufacturers.
In an interview released on the official Formula E website and social media channels, stuff the series boss talks about his plans to move away from the current one-make format and open up the regulations to allow full manufacturer involvement. Teams would then be able to develop their own powertrains for year two in 2015/16 and their own batteries from season three.
“In year two the teams will be able to build their own batteries and their own motors, denture ” said Agag. “They could build their own whole car if they wanted. But the regulations are quite strict and they don’t allow a lot of development in aerodynamics, but they do allow development in motor and battery. I would hope that we have three or four different makers of motors and batteries in the championship for year two.”
This move would also pave the way for Formula E to make a bid for world championship status with the series requiring the involvement of four manufacturers to become a world championship under FIA rules.
Speaking earlier in the month at the opening Formula ePrix in Beijing Agag said: “There is a condition of a world championship to have a certain number of manufacturers; you cannot be a world championship as a one-make series.
“We hope to attract manufacturers, meet the conditions and hopefully the FIA will grant us world championship status.”