FINA Bureau Meeting in Dubai (UAE)
December 15, 2010
Dubai (UAE), December 14, 2010 – The FINA Bureau met in Dubai (UAE) on December 12-14, 2010 with the occasion of the 10th FINA World Swimming Championships (25m), to be staged from December 15-19, 2010. Following the call by the FINA President Dr. Julio C. Maglione, and before the start of the meeting, was respected a minute of silence in memory of Fran Crippen, the open water swimmer, who tragically died on October 23, 2010 during the last leg of the FINA 10km Marathon Swimming World Cup in Fujairah (UAE).
In order to continue with the successful tradition of these championships, the Bureau awarded the organisation of the 12th FINA World Swimming Championships (25m) in 2014 to the city of Catania (Sicily, ITA).
After a brilliant presentation, the city of Casablanca (MAR) was chosen to stage the 4th FINA World Junior Swimming Championships in 2013.
Other important decisions made by the FINA Bureau included:
• Election of a new Bureau member – Ben Ekumbo (KEN), representing Africa;
• Other National Federations/Cities organisers of FINA events:
o Men’s Water Polo Olympic Games Qualification Tournament 2012 – Edmonton, CAN;
o Women’s Water Polo Olympic Games Qualification Tournament 2012 – Italy (city to be confirmed);
o Marathon Swimming Olympic Qualification Event 2012 – Setubal, POR
• Creation of a “School for Officials” in Open Water Swimming. As in Water Polo, Diving and Synchronised Swimming, the officials of this discipline will be nominated after passing an examination in a school for officials;
• A new schedule for the games at FINA World Championships water polo tournaments was approved and will be implemented from the 2013 edition of this competition;
• Nomination of a new FINA Press Commission Member: Gergely Csurka (HUN);
• FINA received reports concerning the preparation of the upcoming FINA
competitions: 14th FINA World Championships Shanghai 2011, 3rd FINA World Junior Swimming Championships Lima 2011, 11th FINA World Swimming Championships (25m) Istanbul 2012, and 15th FINA World Championships Barcelona 2013. These reports demonstrated that the preparation of these championships are proceeding in a very positive way and are a guarantee of successful FINA World Championships;
• A report on the Olympic Games London 2012 was also presented to the Bureau. FINA is working in close co-operation with the IOC and LOCOG to finalise the programme of these Olympic Games and to ensure the optimal exposure of Aquatic sports in the British capital.