FIFA Discuss $25BN Tournament Deal

By bethany@isportconnect.com | May 1, 2018

FIFA has held talks with football’s six governing bodies to discuss a $25bn (£18.3bn) offer to run two international tournaments.

A Japanese-led consortium is keen to oversee an expanded 24-team Club World Cup event every four years, and create a Nations League on a two-year cycle for more than 200 national teams.

FIFA President Gianni Infantino has asked for support for a 12-year deal from 2021, with a decision made on the proposal before this summer’s World Cup in Russia.

“There is a sense of urgency to move forward and to make a decision,” Philippe Moggio, general secretary of North American football body CONCACAF, said after the two-hour meeting.

A FIFA briefing document on the project said clubs would share prize money totalling 75 percent of at least $3bn (£2.2bn) revenue from each Club World Cup competition, guaranteed by the investment group. The revamped tournament would be played in June instead of December.

FIFA earned $50.7m (£37m) in revenue from last year’s competition in the United Arab Emirates.