FIBA Appoints New Board Members
By Community | September 16, 2014
FIBA’s Central Board have made key appointments to complete the composition of the Board.
The appointments included Yvan Mainini being elected President of the International Basketball Foundation (IBF).
Here is a list of the members appointed to the Board:
– Mr Richard Carrion (PUR), CEO and Chairman of the Board of Popular, Inc., and a Member of the International Olympic Committee (IOC);
– Mr Mark Tatum (USA), the Deputy Commissioner and Chief Operating Officer of the NBA, as NBA representative;
– Mr Vlade Divac (SRB), President of the National Olympic Committee of Serbia, as Players representative;
– Ms Yulia Anikeeva (RUS), President of the Russian Basketball Federation;
– Mr Manuel V Pangilinan (PHI), President of the Philippines Basketball Federation;
– Mr Erick Thohir (INA), President of the Southeast Asian Basketball Association (SEABA).
The Central Board also appointed members to the newly-established Executive Committee. In addition to the ex officio members FIBA President Mr Horacio Muratore (ARG), FIBA Secretary General Mr Patrick Baumann (SUI) and FIBA Treasurer Mr Ingo Weiss (GER), the following Central Board members were invited to join them: Mr Richard Carrion (PUR); Mr Turgay Demirel (TUR), President of FIBA Europe; Mr Hamane Niang (MLI), President of FIBA Africa; Mr Jose Luis Saez (ESP), President of the Spanish Basketball Federation (FEB); Mr Burton Shipley (NZL), President of FIBA Oceania.
The Central Board then proceeded with the appointment of three Vice-Presidents. Mr Niang (MLI), former Minister of Sport of Mali, was appointed First Vice-President of FIBA. He is accompanied by Vice-Presidents Mr Demirel (TUR) and Mr Tian Xiao (CHN), China’s Vice Minister of Sport (in charge of basketball).