Egyptian Premier League To Resume after Port Said Investigation
February 16, 2012
Newly-appointed Egyptian Football Association (EFA) president Anwar Saleh has announced the domestic league will resume behind closed doors immediately after investigations into the Port Said stadium disaster have concluded.
The Egyptian Premier League came to a shuddering halt earlier this month when 74 people lost their lives after violence erupted during a match between rivals Al-Ahly and Al-Masry.
Saleh, who has been handed interim power of the EFA following Prime Minister Kamal al-Ganzouri’s decision to dissolve the previous administration, says safety and control must be of utmost importance as the country attempts to rebuild after the tragedy.
“The league will be resumed behind closed doors, but it all depends on the investigations results. Security is the priority of all Egyptians and if it was achieved the fans will return to the stands gradually,” Saleh told Ahram Sports weekly magazine.
“Resuming the competition is essential for several parties so I think that the clubs will not oppose playing the matches without their supporters. Egypt’s national teams will play all their matches as scheduled.”
by Ismail Uddin