Baku 2015 Insist All Venues Will Be Fully Accessible
May 26, 2015
The organisers of the Baku 2015 European Games have pledged that all 18 venues will be fully accessible for persons with a disability or impairment.
Last week the Azeri capital hosted 1996 Paralympic gold medallist Nick Morris to inspect the competition arenas ahead of the opening ceremony on 12 June. The Australian is an accredited accessibility consultant with the Accessibility Consultants Association and gave the venues his seal of approval.
“All spectators, sale including those people who have a disability or are elderly, are able to come and enjoy the ceremonies and sport of the first European Games in Baku,” he said.
Simon Clegg, Chief Operating Officer of Baku 2015, said: “We have made it a top priority to accommodate the needs of our guests with disabilities. It is our belief that the needs of these visitors should simply be an extension of the same courtesies that we offer to all spectators.
“One of the legacies of the European Games is that the planning and development put into increasing accessibility for these Games will continue to benefit the city after Baku 2015, allowing Azerbaijan to meet international standards for the events it will hold in the future, such as the Islamic Solidarity Games in 2017.”