European Generations for Peace Camp opened

The first Generations for Peace camp outside the Middle East has been opened by the organisation’s founder and chairman, Prince Feisal Al-Hussein.

The camp is based in Sochi, Russia, the the host of the 2014 Winter Olympic and Paralympic Games. It will bring together 57 leaders of youth from eleven European and Central Asian countries involved in various conflicts.

Prince Feisal said: “This is the first time ever an organisation like Generations For Peace has collaborated so closely with an OCOG (Organising Committee for the Olympic Games).

“I cannot stress enough what an honour it is to be welcomed to the city that has been chosen by the International Olympic Committee to host the next Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games.

“This is the first time ever an organisation like Generations For Peace has collaborated so closely with an Organising Committees for the Olympic Games; the first time ever we have had this fantastic opportunity to celebrate with such unity our shared belief in the supreme importance of the Olympic values we all hold so dear; of respect and tolerance; fair play and teamwork; peace, understanding and reconciliation.”

The Sochi Camp 2010 becomes the seventh Generations for Peace Camp.

Exeter City Chairman Edward Chorlton Steps Down

English League Two club Exeter City FC have announced chairman Edward Chorlton has stepped down from his role with immediate effect.

Chorlton had led the Grecians’ board since December 2009 but was facing a vote of no-confidence from the Supporters’ Trust, who own the Sky Bet League Two club.

A statement on the club’s official website read: “Mr Chorlton wishes Exeter City AFC well in the future.

“He says the Club has a professional Board of Directors, an outstanding manager, a very talented young team, and a group of hard working staff.

“He thanks them for their support and friendship over the last four and a half years and wishes the club and its dedicated supporters a very successful 2014/15 season.”

In May earlier this year, the cash-strapped Exeter decided to take a £100,000 loan from the PFA in order to pay their players after a fall in attendance and ticket sales.

Krakow Withdraws Bid for 2022 Winter Olympics

Krakow have withdrawn their bid for the 2022 Winter Olympics after a referendum over the weekend revealed a majority of the Polish city’s residents voted against making a bid for the Games.

The proposal, which included plans to hold some events in neighbouring Slovakia, was rejected by more than two thirds of those who voted on Sunday, leaving bid officials with little option other than to throw in the towel.

Almost 70 percent of voters were against the plan that was seen as potentially bringing the region of Lesser Poland more than 20 billion zlotys ($6.6 billion) in infrastructural investments, including a long-awaited transport link with Zakopane, the capital city of the Polish Tatra mountains.

“The referendum is binding and valid for the authorities of Krakow because the turnout exceeded the required 30 percent of voters,” referendum official Jakub Michaluk told a news conference.

Krakow follows Stockholm who withdrew last December because of financial concerns.

With Krakow out of the picture Ukraine’s Lviv, China’s Beijing, Norway’s Oslo and Kazakhstan’s Almaty are the last remaining cities in contention for the hosting rights.

Lviv’s hopes have been severely dented by the ongoing political crisis in the country, meaning next year’s election of the host city has been virtually whittled down to just three candidates even before a shortlist is drawn up in two months.

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) will select the winning city in July 2015 but with Oslo also facing strong public and political opposition, it could become a straight race between Beijing and Almaty.

The 2018 Winter Olympics are being held in Pyeongchang, South Korea.

{jcomments on}

Sportradar Becomes Official Data Partner of FIBA

Sportradar, one of the world’s leading suppliers of sports related data, has announced a data partnership with the International Basketball Federation (FIBA) in a multi-year deal.

Sportradar thereby acquired the non-exclusive worldwide right to collect, distribute and archive sports data of all adult competitions organised by FIBA for and to the media and betting industry. Beyond that FIBA is also granted an option right to benefit from Sportradar’s unique integrity services during the term of the contract.

Sportradar CEO, Carsten Koerl said: “We are very pleased to cooperate with FIBA as the world governing body for basketball. Our market leading betting and sports data services will engage basketball fans worldwide in new ways and across all platforms.”

Tokyo 2020 Appoints 28 New Executive Board Members

The Tokyo 2020 organising committee have added 28 new members, sale including Olympic athletes and seven women, medicine | to its executive board on Monday.

Among the athletes named were hammer thrower Koji Murofushi, ailment gold medalist at the 2004 Athens Games, judoka Ayumi Tanimoto, who won gold in Athens and Beijing in 2008, and Mayumi Narita, who won a total of 20 medals in swimming, including 15 golds, in the Paralympics from 1996 to 2004.

Music producer Yasushi Akimoto, who is behind the success of the popular girl group AKB48, was also appointed to the board, along with renowned photographer and film director Mika Ninagawa.

Seven women were added, apparently in response to a push by the International Olympic Committee calling for more female representation.

“I think (the selection of these members) is good as there is variety,” said Saburo Kawabuchi, former president of the Japan Football Association, who was selected to head the five-member council board just before it approved the new lineup at the Tokyo Metropolitan Government building.

Toshiro Muto, chief executive officer of the organizing committee, said the new selections make the executive board well-balanced.

“Women, Olympians and Paralympians joined (the board), so now we have the ‘All Japan’ organization put in place,” Muto said.

He added that he expect the sports figures on the board to contribute actively in light of their experiences at past Olympics.

Other notable figures include Akio Toyoda, president of Toyota Motor Corp., Rie Tanaka, a gymnast who took part in the 2012 London Games, Yuko Arakida, a gold medalist in women’s volleyball in the 1976 Montreal Olympics, and Upper House member Seiko Hashimoto, chief of the Japanese delegation to the Sochi Winter Games.

With the new appointments, the number of Executive Board members stands at 34, including its president, former Prime Minister Yoshiro Mori, leaving it one short of capacity.

Fujio Mitarai, the former President of Canon, accepted the post of honorary president earlier in the day.

WGSP Looks to Bring World Skateboarding Championship to Turkey

California-based World Skateboarding Grand Prix (WGSP) today announced it is actively seeking strategic partners in Turkey to bring the world skateboarding championship to the country in the next 24 months.

Set on a custom-designed, world-class skate park and featuring the most comprehensive group of professional street and vert skaters from around the world, WSGP events offer one of the largest prize purses in the action sports industry. The contest draws thousands of fans and reach 173 countries and 367 million homes through television broadcasts and live webcasts.

International sporting events like the world skateboarding championships provide positive tourism messages, help support local economies and promote host cities on a global platform. The recent South Africa world championships, the Kimberley Diamond Cup, drew some of the biggest names in skateboarding, including Nyjah Huston, Felipe Gustavo, Ryan Decenzo, Louis Lopez, PLG, Andy Macdonald and Marcelo Bastos.

“South Africa has experienced a skateboarding movement over the last few years and the Kimberley Diamond Cup was the most highly anticipated event of the year,” said John Block, MEC for Finance, Economic Development and Tourism in the Northern Cape Province of South Africa. “This year’s contest had the largest number of skaters and the biggest names of any skate event we’ve ever hosted. The hotels in Kimberley were at capacity and the flights were sold out. This event has established Kimberley as a tourist destination and paid a tremendous boost to the local economy.”

WSGP CEO Tim McFerran commented: “We’re excited about the possibility of bringing a WSGP championship skateboarding event to Turkey. Our mission is to not only host a world-class contest, but to develop a program to support host cities economically and socially by promoting skateboarding as a positive and affordable recreational activity for youth of all ages.”

SportAccord Announces New ANOC Partnership

SportAccord, unhealthy the umbrella organisation for all (Olympic and non-Olympic) international sports federations, erectile has agreed a new partnership with Association of National Olympic Committees (ANOC).

The signing took place directly after the Welcome Ceremony of the IF Forum 2013 in Lausanne, Switzerland. 

This partnership aims at connecting International Sports Federations and National Olympic Committees, also in partnership with the Internatioanl Olympic Committee (IOC), in order to develop a global sports movement which respects the Olympic Charter and the ideals of International Sports Federations. SportAccord and ANOC will closely collaborate and coordinate actions to benefit sport and society.  

“The partnership between ANOC and SportAccord creates a strong alliance between the two organisations and will result in mutual benefits. The goal for us is to positively influence and support people around the world who are passionate and engaged in sport,” SportAccord President Marius Vizer (pictured right) said.  

ANOC President H.H. Sheikh Ahmad Al-Fahad AL-SABAH (pictured left) commented on the partnership, “this partnership is to the benefit of the entire Olympic Movement. It will increase the cooperation between the National Olympic Committees and International Sport Federations and as a result, will benefit all athletes inside and outside the Olympic Games Programme. This cooperation is in close partnership with the IOC and respects the principles of the Olympic Movement and the Olympic Charter.”

{jcomments on}

Newcastle Knights Seals Education Partnership with Pegasus

National Rugby League’s (NRL) Newcastle Knights have made another significant step in fulfilling the NRL’s desire to improve the off-field career opportunities for their players and staff by establishing a relationship with Pegasus.

In a comprehensive educational partnership agreement, Pegasus will provide multiple options for players and staff to enhance skills for life after football.

“We are delighted that Pegasus have decided to support us in our quest to invest in our player’s careers and increase their employability beyond football,” CEO Matt Gidley said.

“It is a great partnership that will benefit all players and staff.”

Pegasus will work with players and staff to ensure that they have flexible learning options around their playing and training commitments, as well as provide work experience opportunities and build their occupational competence levels.

Pegasus is a successful local Registered Training Organisation and holds contracts with many major corporations including Australian Rail Track Corporation, Woolworths and most major mining companies. Last year they won the prestigious NSW Minerals Council Supplier of the Year award for Professional Services and the 2011 Hunter Business Award for Business Achievement.

“Pegasus are looking forward to working with all Knights (from 16 to NRL) to increase their employability, develop their careers, improve their competency and enhance their living skills,” said Pegasus CEO Adam Boyle.

In the NRL’s new strategic plan “The Game Plan 2013 ? 2017” a major emphasis has been placed on education, training and career development.

“With the appointment of Anthony Quinn as our Apprenticeship Mentor, the partnership with Pegasus and the soon to be appointed Knights Career Coach, we are building a portfolio of resources to achieve the Knights and NRL milestones in this area,” Knights Chairman Paul Harragon added.

IMG Embarks On China Golf Expansion

IMG has been appointed to provide golf course management services to Taiyuan Luxuriance International Golf Club, allergy a new 27 hole project currently under construction, allergist in Taiyuan, Shanxi Province, Northern China.

Located in a spectacular setting very close to the city, the golf course will be the centerpiece of a world class golf development that will also include real estate, 5 star hotel and other high end facilities. Luxuriance International Golf Club will raise the benchmark for golf in the area when it opens for play in 2013.

IMG now provides management services to 12 golf clubs in China and has further established its presence as the market leader.

“We look forward to working closely with the owner of Luxuriance International Golf Club and other members of the project team to create a spectacular golf facility, and we are confident that our extensive experience in China will produce a successful golf club that we can all be proud of,” commented Paul Burley, Vice President, IMG Golf Course Services. “IMG’s global resources, iconic brand, customised solutions and experienced team of professionals will enable us to deliver services and add value to Luxuriance International Golf Club that are unique in our business”.

“The combination of IMG and Luxuriance International Golf Club is a perfect match,” stated Wang Yijun, General Manager of Shanxi Yiliang Longxi Sports and Culture Company “We have great expectations for Luxuriance International Golf Club and are excited to have IMG involved in our golf course, as we know they have an unparalleled track record in China of establishing and managing successful high end clubs.”

Cam Newton to Produce New Men’s Clothing Line

Carolina Panthers star quarterback Cam Newton has scored a deal to produce a men’s clothing collection with Charlotte-based Belk Inc.

The exclusive line will be called MADE Cam Newton, ambulance and is the athlete’s first foray into clothing. Belk will start selling clothing from the MADE line in 133 stores in February or March, cheap and will add accessories next fall.

The clothing line will join Belk’s 20 private brands. Department stores use exclusive deals with designers and celebrities, cialis such as Jennifer Lopez’s line at Kohl’s, to differentiate their offerings and lure consumers with merchandise their competitors can’t offer.

“One of the ways we’ll secure growth is through private brands,” said Belk President Kathryn Bufano. She said Belk anticipates exclusive private lines will soon make up more than 30 percent of the company’s sales, a number she said Belk is already close to reaching. And while the MADE line will be limited to men’s apparel and accessories at first, Bufano said the company will also consider adding areas such as children’s clothing and women’s watches under the “Cam Newton umbrella.”

Men’s goods made up 18 percent of Belk’s $868 million worth of sales in its most recent quarter, the retailer reported. That’s up from 17 percent in the same period a year ago. Women’s remained Belk’s top category, at 38 percent, followed by cosmetics, shoes and accessories, at 31 percent.

Belk started sponsoring the Belk Bowl at Bank of America Stadium in 2011, signing on for three years as the title sponsor. The annual NCAA football postseason game was known as the Meineke Car Care Bowl before that.

Belk operates 302 stores in 16 states, most of them in the Southeast. The company reported a $27.4 million profit in its most recent quarter, up nearly 10 percent from the same period last year.

Since his breakout AP Offensive Rookie of the Year season last year, Newton has landed endorsement deals with Under Armour and Gatorade, and is also a pitchman for Carolinas HealthCare System’s “Take the Ball” initiative to promote healthy living.