NFL and Union Enter 14th Day of Mediations

Representatives of the National Football League (NFL) and its players union are set for a 14th day of debate with a federal mediator regarding how to divide almost US$9 billion in revenue.

The NFL Players Association rejected an offer from the league to reveal audited profitability data for all 32 teams for the past several years, the New York Times reported last night. Union leaders want each club’s audited full financial statements, the newspaper said.

Such disagreements don’t make it impossible to reach an accord and New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft told ComCast SportsNet New England on Tuesday, March 8: “We’re doing everything we can to get a deal consummated. I personally believe it’s possible.”

The sides are in a week-long extension of the league’s collective bargaining agreement with players, which was set to expire after March 3. Had the agreement lapsed, owners could have locked out players, shutting down the most popular U.S. sport for the first time since 1987.

George H. Cohen, head of the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service, brokered a deal between Major League Soccer (MLS) and its players last year, and said the extension ends the evening of March 11.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and executive director of the players’ union DeMaurice Smith have both declined to discuss the specifics of talks, at the request of Cohen.

Rooney and Gerrard pull out of skills event

A football skills challenge event featuring six of the world’s best players has been cancelled after England’s Wayne Rooney and Steven Gerrard pulled out following their country’s exit from the World Cup.

The A:3K event, which was due to be held at London’s O2 Arena on 17 July, has now been postponed until the summer of 2011. It was created with the aim of trying to bring the world’s best players together, competing in front of a live audience.

Director of A:3K Terrry Byrne said in a statement: “Both Steven Gerrard and Wayne Rooney have made it clear they believe it would be inappropriate for them to participate in A:3K at this time. We fully understand and respect both players’ decisions. We could have replaced them with two other players but feel the players involved are six of the best in the world – and that is what we promised we would deliver.

“Having consulted all parties involved, everyone agreed the only decision possible was to postpone the event until next summer when we intend to deliver the same six player line up. Our priority right now is to our customers who have purchased tickets.”

Rooney and Gerrard, who were earning a reported US$745,000 for taking apart, were due to appear alongside Cristiano Ronaldo, Cesc Fabregas, Didier Drogba and David Villa.

Cho Yang-Ho Selected to Lead PyeongChang 2018 Again

Organisers of the PyeongChang 2018 Winter Olympics have selected Cho Yang-Ho, Chairman of the Korean conglomerate Hanjin Group, will again head up the organisation. 

Cho, who led PyeongChang’s successful bid for the 2018 Winter Olympic Games, announced his decision in a statement released by the company that said he has accepted the position made vacant by the surprise resignation last week of Kim Jin-sun.

He said: “Now that I’ve agreed to take on the job as the chief organizer, I will dedicate myself to ensure a successful Winter Olympics in PyeongChang, relying on my experience as the top bid official. Many people in and outside Korea recommended that I take this position and I also wanted to keep the promise I’d made with the International Olympic Committee (IOC) to work for a successful Olympics here.”

Cho, head of Korean Air, was head of the bid committee when PyeongChang was awarded the 2018 Games in 2011. He is a vice president of the Korean Olympic Committee.

He still needs to be officially approved at a meeting of the PyeongChang 2018 Organising Committee.

Philadelphia Joins New York By Exiting 2024 Olympics Bid Race

Philadelphia have exited the race for a U.S. bid for the 2024 Olympics, the city’s mayor said Wednesday, according to reports.

The city, which has never hosted an Olympics, was considered one of several candidates being looked at by the U.S. Olympic Committee, along with Boston, Dallas, Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco and Washington.

Mayor Michael Nutter said he wrote to the USOC earlier this month, telling the organization the city was not interested in bidding.

“It is millions and millions of dollars – probably in the hundreds of millions of dollars – to host such an enterprise,” he said.

“You have to build an Olympic Village for people to live. You have to build Olympic-scale facilities for swimming or track or whatever you don’t have enough of.

“So I felt, at this stage, that we should not submit a bid.”

On Tuesday, a top official for New York’s mayor said the Big Apple was also not interested in attempting to bid for 2024.

Philadelphia attempted to bid for the 2016 Olympics, but the USOC opted for Chicago, which lost to Rio de Janeiro. The U.S. has not bid since and has not hosted an Olympics since the 2002 Winter Games.

USOC is expected to narrow its field of potential 2024 candidates in the next month and decide if it will bid, and which city, by the end of the year.

{jcomments on}

San Jose Earthquakes to Become First Sports Franchise to Accept Bitcoin in Stadium

Major League Soccer’s San Jose Earthquakes will become the first professional sports team to accept bitcoin payments in stadium when they host the Houston Dynamo on Sunday, May 25.

The club announced that they have partnered with San Francisco’s Coinbase to bring bitcoin processing to Buck Shaw Stadium for tickets, merchandise and concessions.

“In the spirit of Silicon Valley, the Earthquakes are constantly looking for ways to innovate,” said club president Dave Kaval. “Coinbase’s bitcoin payment processor adds another cutting edge payment option that further streamlines the commerce experience for fans.”

In order for fans to make purchases with bitcoin at the stadium on May 25th, they must have a bitcoin wallet on a mobile device. The Earthquakes will accept bitcoin payments at the ticket gate, merchandise store, and concession stand using tablets running the Coinbase Merchant app.

FIFA Look to End Winter Olympics Feud after Ruling Out January/February 2022 World Cup

FIFA president Sepp Blatter has confirmed the 2022 World Cup will not be staged in January or February and Qatar will solely host the event after suggestions a co-hosted tournament could be considered.

The Gulf state are expected to stage the most prestigious tournament in world football during the winter for the first time in the event’s history due to concerns about the extreme heat in June/July.

On Friday, Blatter ruled out a January-February World Cup and said the only alternative to a summer tournament would be November-December in 2022.

“In January, February, these are the Olympic Winter Games,” he said.

“It’s out of the respect to the Olympic organization, the Olympic family..secondly, we have together with the Olympic, the IOC, practically the same media, television and marketing partners and we cannot have two competitions in the same time.”

“It is logical to play this competition at the end of the year,” he added. “At the end of the year, it will be November-December. I don’t know exactly the dates, but could be from 10th to 10th whatever.”

Blatter also confirmed Qatar will solely host the tournament.

“The decision of the FIFA is to play in one country and that will be in Qatar,” Blatter told a news conference after meeting the emir of Qatar, Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad al-Thani.

He denied that he had suggested that co-hosting was a possibility, implying that it was a misunderstanding that arose during a news conference in Abu Dhabi on Friday.

“I was just touring a little bit here, I was in Iran and I was in United Arab Emirates and it came up, the question came up, ‘Can we share the World Cup with Qatar?’ I just took the questions, but I did not answer,” he added.

“I just want to tell you that when we took the decision for the World Cup 2002 when we played in two countries with difficulties, it was (South) Korea and Japan.

“We have decided to never go in two countries, even less so to three, if one country is able to do so (stage the tournament).”

Blatter also played down fears regarding workers’ rights in Qatar following the revelation that dozens of Nepalese workers have died in the country this year.

“Received full report from authorities & BWI (Building & Wood Workers International) union on efforts to improve working conditions,” he said.

“I really encourage people to see these efforts to improve working conditions themselves, before forming opinions.”

{jcomments on}

NASCAR’s Kevin Harvick, Inc to Represent UFC Fighter

NASCAR team, Kevin Harvick, Inc. (KHI) has reached outside auto racing and into the world of professional athlete management, inking a deal to represent UFC fighter Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone.

KHI, co-owned by NASCAR Sprint Cup Series driver Kevin Harvick and his wife, DeLana, is renowned in the motor sports world not only for its on-track success, but also for its efficacious and innovative sponsorship relationships. In its NASCAR operations, the company has demonstrated expertise in marketing through sponsor activation, sales and promotion, event management, advertising and public relations. More recently, KHI transferred its primary concentration to athletes and sponsors in and out of the auto racing industry, including Harvick, Cerrone, Jeff Burton (NASCAR) and Jason Gore (PGA). 

“It’s an honor and privilege to have this new relationship with Kevin (Harvick) and KHI,” stated Cerrone, a (MMA) fighter currently ranked sixth in the UFC Lightweight division. “I have learned a lot from Kevin and his management team over the last year and look forward to a long-lasting relationship both in and out of the octagon.” 

Under Harvick and the KHI management team’s direction, KHI earned two NASCAR Camping World Truck Series championships and 53 wins in the NASCAR Nationwide and Truck Series in its decade of competition. Along for the lengthy and prosperous ride were numerous and critical KHI sponsor partners, despite the fact that a weakening U.S. economy forced several corporations out of NASCAR altogether. 

“One of KHI’s strongest qualities always has been our ability to sell and maintain sponsorship in NASCAR despite the economic challenges,” Kevin Harvick said. “With that solid foundation and the template we’ve created over the last 10 years, I think we are ready to take the next step to represent other athletes in other arenas. Donald is our first client in the UFC, and I’m excited about all the possibilities that lie ahead.” 

Cerrone, 30, is based and trains in Albuquerque, N.M. He won three of his four last fights to extend his record to 20-5. The Denver native is next scheduled to fight Rafael Dos Anjos (19-6) on Aug. 28 on UFC on FOX Sports 1.

Harlequins Agrees Deal to Launch New Centre for Rugby at Surrey Sports Park

English Rugby Union team, Harlequins have announced today that it has reached agreement with the University of Surrey, owners of Surrey Sports Park, to establish a new Centre for Rugby that will house the club’s training facilities at the leading sports complex on the outskirts of Guildford.

The current Aviva Premiership champions, who have used the Sports Park as their training base since 2010, have operated from a temporary facility that housed administration offices and team facilities.

The new state-of-the-art centre, which will be located on part of the Sports Park’s existing footprint and adjacent to the club’s current training pitches, will provide the club with first class changing rooms, medical suites, video and statistical analysis suites, meeting rooms, a lecture theatre and administration offices.

Work to transform an existing building into the new Centre will start immediately and players, coaches and support staff will move into the refurbished accommodation this September.

David Ellis, Harlequins Chief Executive, said, “Our players and coaches deserve the best training facilities that the club can afford and now they will have them. This development represents a major investment by the club and we’re grateful to our owners and to the University of Surrey, in particular to the management of Surrey Sports Park, for making it possible.

“As part of our commitment to the Park, we will identify future opportunities to share our knowledge and experience of the sport with members of the University community and support any related academic programmes, research or teaching in an active and positive way,” Mr Ellis added.

Commenting on the announcement, Paul Blanchard, Chief Executive of Surrey Sports Park, said, “We’ve been pleased and proud to have Harlequins based at our Olympic standard sports complex for the past three years. The club offers valuable support to our student teams, our community activities and research programmes and we see it as a welcome part of our University community. The new facility will greatly enhance the accommodation available to the club and we’re looking forward to turning the plans into reality over coming months.”

Go Daddy Uses Deutsch to Produce New Super Bowl Commercial

Go Daddy is producing its new Super Bowl commercials with the help of an ad agency, here Deutsch Inc.

Go Daddy officially signed the New York Office of Deutsch Inc. as its agency-of-record this week. Now, Deutsch NY is working to produce two thirty-second spots for the world’s largest Web hosting provider’s 2013 Super Bowl campaign.

“When you think about our new definition of ‘sexy’ as: success, ambition and a drive to succeed with an online presence … Danica certainly fits that bill.”

Go Daddy’s Super Bowl strategies have helped drive market share, over the last eight years, from 16 percent to more than 50 percent. Over the years, Go Daddy Super Bowl ads have set records for Internet traffic, as well as internal records for sales revenue and new customers.

“We are doing something we’ve never done in a Super Bowl – we are repositioning sexy,” said Chief Marketing Officer Barb Rechterman. “The new sexy means success, ambition and drive and it can be achieved by using Go Daddy to grow your business. We think it’s sexy to grow a business, to be your own boss and to make dreams come true online.”

Go Daddy drives one of the largest technical infrastructure operations on the Internet and powers 10.6 million customers worldwide, mostly small-to-midsize businesses who need simple solutions to grow their businesses and want technical help to build and manage their websites. Unlike most Internet companies, Go Daddy provides customers with a ‘bend-over-backwards,’ business consultant approach to customer support that includes personalized service, every hour of every day.

“What makes Go Daddy special is our ‘over-the-top’ brand of concierge service … no one else does what we do, the way we do it,” said Go Daddy Executive Chairman and Founder Bob Parsons. “I think the creative challenge for Deutsch is going to be to draw from our past success and create something new, that’s memorable and has a little fun with what makes Go Daddy so extraordinary … in a way that is impactful.”

Deutsch NY has multiple teams working on creative concepts right now. The scripts are being kept top-secret.

Go Daddy Girl and NASCAR superstar Danica Patrick has been featured in 10 Super Bowl ads, which is more than any other celebrity in Super Bowl history. All have been Go Daddy ads and each has driven viewers to the GoDaddy.com website to “see what happens next” after the broadcast ad ends.

“Do I hope I’ll be in the new Go Daddy Super Bowl commercials? Absolutely,” Danica said. “I don’t think it would feel quite like a Super Bowl if we don’t do the commercials again this year,” she suggested.

“We have had measurable success with Danica, no doubt about it,” Parsons said. “When you think about our new definition of ‘sexy’ as: success, ambition and a drive to succeed with an online presence … Danica certainly fits that bill.”

That leaves Deutsch with a challenge to innovate what has become a Super Bowl phenomenon: the Go Daddy commercial.

“Go Daddy is an iconic Super Bowl advertiser, with tremendous name recognition,” said Deutsch New York CEO Val DiFebo. “Our mission is to go deeper into what Go Daddy does. Their relationship with customers is truly inspiring. We’ve listened to hundreds of them, who use words and phrases like ‘profound appreciation’ and ‘I owe my success to Go Daddy,’ to describe their connection. It is the new sexy. This is an amazing opportunity to create commercials that are as memorable, innovative and impactful as Go Daddy’s ever done, and to do it in a way that does as right by their brand, as they do by their customers.”

KemperSports to Manage Stone Creek Golf Club

KemperSports, a leading golf course management company, announced that it has been selected by The Atkins Group to manage Stone Creek Golf Club in Urbana, Ill.

Designed by the father-son duo of Dick and Tim Nugent, Stone Creek Golf Club is located in Southeast Urbana and serves as the home course of the University of Illinois Men’s and Women’s golf teams, led by renowned Head Men’s Golf Coach Mike Small. KemperSports will provide comprehensive management of this premium public facility, which includes an 18-hole golf course, a 30,000 square-foot clubhouse with an extensive golf shop and snack bar, a four-acre practice range and teaching center and a free-standing banquet facility.

Since its opening, Stone Creek Golf Club has hosted a number of prestigious amateur events including the Big Ten Men’s Golf Championships in 2001, Big Ten Women’s Golf Championships and USGA Men’s Amateur Qualifier in 2002, Women’s Western Amateur Championship in 2003, Illinois State Men’s Amateur Championship in 2004 and USGA Men’s Amateur Qualifier in 2005.

“We are very impressed with the KemperSports team and its dedication to providing exceptional customer service at each one of its properties,” said Mike Martin, director of residential development for The Atkins Group. “Customer service is key to building loyal and happy customers in the hospitality industry, and we’re excited to work with KemperSports to refine the guest experience at Stone Creek.”

Stone Creek Golf Club opened in 1999 and features a par-72 course with bent grass fairways and subtle elevation changes. Measuring 7,118 yards from the championship tees, the course was named for the stone-laden creeks that meander through the 18-hole layout. The Stone Creek subdivision, an upscale residential development covering 500 acres, surrounds the course and consists of several neighborhoods and miles of walking, jogging and biking paths along Stone Creek Golf Club.

“As the home course of the University of Illinois golf teams, Stone Creek is well-respected among golfers as one of the top courses in the area,” said Steve Skinner, CEO of KemperSports. “We look forward to working with The Atkins Group to further enhance the golf and dining experience at Stone Creek.”