ITU Adds Four Events to 2014 World Cup Calendar

The International Triathlon Union (ITU) has confirmed today the addition of four events to the 2014 World Cup calendar.

In addition to five previously announced races, order stops in Jiayuguan, clinic Alanya, Cozumel and Tongyeong have been secured.

2014 World Cup calendar to date:

March 15-16: Mooloolaba, Australia

March 22-23: New Plymouth, New Zealand

May 10-11: Chengdu, China

June 14-15: Huatulco, Mexico

July 26-27: Jiayuguan, China

August 9-10: Tiszaujvaros, Hungary

September 27-28: Alanya, Turkey

October 4-5: Cozumel, Mexico

November 1-2: Tongyeong, South Korea

ITU also revealed they expected to add one additional World Cup race in Europe and two more in the Americas, all of which are to be confirmed later this year.

FIFA Issues Egypt Deadline for Security Assurances for World Cup Playoff

FIFA has given Egypt a deadline of October 28 to provide “comprehensive security assurances” for their World Cup playoff in Cairo next month, according to the Ghana Football Association.

The GFA says the world body also has indicated it will consider switching the venue for their November 19 second leg if not satisfied with security arrangements.

The GFA says FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke has sent a letter to Egyptian authorities asking them to give written guarantees that Ghana’s delegation and the match officials will be safe when they travel to Cairo, which has been shaken by new violence. The GFA last week asked FIFA to move the game because of fears over security.

Justin Rose Leaves 4sports to Join Excel Sports Management

US Open champion, capsule Justin Rose has confirmed that he has left 4sports to join Tiger Woods’ agent, drugs Mark Steinberg, at Excel Sports Management.

“The timing is kind of ironic, I suppose, with everything that’s happened,” said Rose, a reference to his US Open win. “But it’s a decision I made quite some time ago, and things take some time to figure themselves out.”

Earlier in the day, Day confirmed the rumors via email to Golfweek: “Following six successful years at leading sports management agency 4sports & Entertainment AG, Justin Rose will as of this day forward be represented by US-based Excel Sports Management. Having risen from 125 in the world rankings when he joined 4sports to current world No. 3 and US Open champion, Rose has chosen to utilize the US resource base of Excel Sports Management for his future representation. For all further inquiries regarding Justin Rose, please contact Excel Sports Management.”

Steinberg current clients include Woods, Matt Kuchar and Gary Woodland, were unsuccessful. Steinberg replied via email that he was in meetings. An Excel associate, Lance Young, was seen with Rose after the first round at the Travelers.

Rose reportedly was looking to enhance marketing opportunities and thinks he will get that opportunity with Excel, which in addition to Woods manages the careers of basketball and baseball stars.

“With me playing so much here in the States and where I felt my game was going, I just felt it was a decision I wanted to make to move on,” Rose said.

Steinberg worked for years at IMG and ran that group’s golf division. He left IMG two years ago and has been slowly building the Excel golf division. After signing Woods, Steinberg has added Kuchar and Woodland, plus the LPGA’s Danielle Kang.

MCC Rejects Lord’s Nursery End Development Proposal

The Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC) committee has rejected a proposal that recommended building on a strip of land at the Nursery End of Lord’s.

The Rifkind Levy Partnership (RLP), ampoule who lease the aforementioned land to MCC, discount made a presentation to the club’s ground working party.

However, ed in a letter to MCC members, president Mike Griffith underlined the reasons for turning down the proposal.

“The committee believes that the size of the Nursery Ground is sacrosanct, both for the staging of cricket matches and as a practice area of international standard,” Griffith said in a letter.

“A development such as that proposed by RLP would lead to a loss of operational space essential for the running of the ground on major match days.

“(In addition,) the visual and environmental impact of the proposed RLP scheme would damage the character and ambience of Lord’s.”

Griffith added: “The committee received a presentation from the chairman of the ground working party, Colin Maber, on the club’s masterplan, part of which was a presentation from the treasurer, Robert Leigh, on the funding of that plan.

“The committee supported both presentations. At the Annual General Meeting on May 1, similar presentations will be made to members on both the RLP and the club’s proposals.”

Bundesliga-Stiftung verdoppelt Spende

Eine Million Kilometer – das entspricht in etwa dem 25-fachen des Erdumfangs. Damit hat die Telekom ein ehrgeiziges Ziel gesetzt. Unterstützung erhalten die Charity-Läufer von der Bundesliga-Stiftung. Vom 8. (19.-21.10.) bis 16. Spieltag (7.-9.12.) geht jeder auf dem Rasen zurückgelegte Kilometer der Spieler aller Bundesliga-Clubs auf die Spendenuhr für “Ein Herz für Kinder”. Bundesliga-Stiftung und Telekom legen für jeden Kilometer der Stars jeweils einen Euro drauf. Damit nimmt die Bundesliga-Stiftung auch außerhalb des Platzes die soziale Verantwortung des Profifußballs wahr.

Bastian Schweinsteiger, anesthetist Vize-Kapitän des FC Bayern München, ambulance sagte mit Blick auf die kommenden Bundesligaspieltage: “Fußball ist für mich und jeden einzelnen Spieler eine Herzensangelegenheit – auf dem Rasen, order aber auch abseits des Platzes. Deshalb unterstützen wir die Telekom-Initiative sehr gerne.”

Die Deutsche Telekom unterstützt seit 2011 BILD hilft e.V. “Ein Herz für Kinder”. Das Unternehmen möchte einen Beitrag leisten, dass Kinder in Deutschland eine faire Chance haben und, wo nötig, in ihren sozialen, medizinischen und schulischen Bedürfnissen Unterstützung erhalten.

Total Sports Asia Agree Deal to Manage Golf’s iGATE CEO Cup

Total Sports Asia, denture Asia’s global leader in sports and branding solution announced a three year partnership with iGATE, thumb the first integrated technology and operations company providing Business Outcomes-based solutions, vialis 40mg in managing its annual iGATE CEO Cup in the United States of America.

The inaugural edition of the iGATE CEO Cup in association with Forbes will take place Jan. 12-13, 2013 at the world-famous Players Stadium course at TPC Sawgrass, Home of the PLAYERS 2013.

CEO’s of top companies based in North America will be invited to play this first-class Championship-style golf tournament, awarding $100,000 to the winners’ favorite charity.

“We are excited to realize the idea of the CEO Cup through this partnership and I am convinced that CEO’s of leading companies in North America will enjoy the sporting, social and charity aspect of the event. The vision of our client iGATE will turn the iGATE CEO Cup into something which every CEO will want to be a part of” said Marcus Luer, Group CEO, Total Sports Asia.

“Golf is such a popular sport with CEOs, we felt it presented the best platform for leaders to compete and network among their peers while having some fun along the way,” said Phaneesh Murthy, CEO, iGATE. “TPA Sawgrass is a dream venue for any golfer and I look forward to welcome the CEOs to tee off at this world-famous course.”

CEOs will compete in a two-day Championship-format tournament with trophies and prizes being awarded in different formats including low individual scores.

Motorrad Grand Prix von Deutschland am Sachsenring bis 2016 gesichert

Der Motorrad Grand Prix von Deutschland wird für weitere fünf Jahre, capsule also bis mindestens 2016, auf dem Sachsenring ausgetragen. Einen entsprechenden Vertrag haben der ADAC in München und der Promoter der Motorrad Weltmeisterschaft Dorna Sports unterzeichnet. Als Veranstalter fungiert die SRM – Sachsenring Rennstrecken Management GmbH. Mit der sportlichen Ausrichtung 2012 ist der ADAC Sachsen betraut.

“Der Sachsenring hat sich in den vergangenen zehn Jahren zum Mekka des deutschen Motorradsports entwickelt. Mit dem jetzt abgeschlossenen neuen Vertrag haben wir den Grundstein dafür gelegt, dass das so bleiben kann. Die SRM – Sachsenring Rennstrecken Management GmbH wird uns dabei ein zuverlässiger und engagierter Partner sein. Nicht nur für die Freunde des Sachsenrings und die Fans des Motorradrennsports in Deutschland, sondern auch für die Bevölkerung und die gesamte Wirtschaftsregion ist das sicher eine gute Nachricht”, sagte ADAC Sportpräsident Hermann Tomczyk.

Stanislaw Tillich, Ministerpräsident des Freistaates Sachsen, zeigte sich begeistert über die Entscheidung: “Der Sachsenring ist ohne den Motorrad Grand Prix undenkbar. Dass der ADAC jetzt diese strategische Entscheidung getroffen hat, ist für die gesamte Region eine große Anerkennung. Sportlich und wirtschaftlich belebt das Rennen und bringt immer wieder neue Besucher zu uns nach Sachsen. Wir werden hervorragende Gastgeber sein und den Fans viele Höhepunkte bieten, auch über die Rennen hinaus. Dass der Motorrad Grand Prix langfristig am Sachsenring bleiben muss, war für die sächsische Staatsregierung erklärtes Ziel und wird es auch bleiben.”

Das diesjährige Rennen, das vom 6. bis 8. Juli ausgetragen wird, ist bereits der 15. deutsche Motorrad Grand Prix in Folge auf der Rennstrecke nahe Chemnitz. In den vergangenen zehn Jahren kamen durchschnittlich über 210 000 Besucher zu den Motorrad-WM-Läufen auf dem Sachsenring. Damit zählt der MotoGP-Lauf zu den publikumsträchtigsten Sportveranstaltungen in Deutschland.

2012 starten erstmals in allen drei Klassen, der MotoGP, der Moto2 und der Moto3, aussichtsreiche deutsche Piloten – angeführt vom letztjährigen Moto2-Weltmeister Stefan Bradl. Zu den Rennen am 8. Juli werden auch ADAC Sportpräsident Tomczyk und Sachsens Ministerpräsident Tillich unter den Fans sein.

Sprinting Legend Michael Johnson Begins Partnership with Williams F1

Olympic champion Michael Johnson has struck a partnership with Williams as the faltering Formula One team look to rediscover the form that made them one of the most successful names in Grand Prix racing. 

Michael Johnson Performance Inc, a company founded by the three-time Olympic gold medallist will provide a training programme for the team’s pit crew as well as look at Williams’ overall training set-up. 

Williams have won 113 Grand Prix and lifted the constructors’ world championship nine times. 

But last season the British outfit scored just five points — a long way from the glory years that saw drivers like Australian Alan Jones, Finn Keke Rosberg, Britons Nigel Mansell and Damon Hill and Canadian Jacques Villeneuve taking drivers’ world titles. 

Although Johnson, who won gold in the 200 and 400 metres at the 1996 Games in Atlanta before triumphing in the 400m again in Sydney four years later, comes from a vastly different sporting background, Williams principal Sir Frank Williams believes his team will benefit from the partnership. 

“I had the privilege of first meeting Michael at the Belgian Grand Prix in the late 1990s,” Williams said in a statement on Wednesday. 

“I have always admired the dedication required to be an Olympic champion. 

“The attention to detail and the commitment required is what sets these extraordinary individuals apart from the rest of us. 

“When Michael and I met again recently he explained how he had established a company that specialised in improving athletic performance. 

“I was extremely keen to learn how he could help our team as there seemed to be a lot of areas of common interest. 

“Michael’s sporting achievements speak for themselves, and the principles he used to become the fastest man in the world are certainly transferable into our own hugely competitive field. 

“Formula One is about all aspects of the race. We all know how crucial the brief time the car spends in the pits can be. 

“So it will be exciting to see how Michael and his team can help give us the edge in this respect.” 

Johnson added: “I am confident the experience and biomechanics expertise of the MJP staff that has benefited numerous American football athletes, Premier League football teams, and Olympic federations, can also benefit Williams’ pit crew in their goal to cut hundredths and even tenths of a second from their pit stop times.”

Pakistan Look to Host International Cricket Again in 2012

The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) are confident that 2012 will see international cricket return to the country.

Pakistan have not played in their own country since a terrorist attack in Lahore aimed at a Sri Lankan touring team in 2009.

Despite two years without international cricket in Pakistan, the PCB chairman Zaka Ashraf has claimed that Bangladesh have been invited to tour.

Ashraf said: “I am confident that international cricket will be revived in Pakistan. Even if [Bangladesh] play two or three matches, it will send positive signals to the cricketing community around the world.

“They will be meeting with top security officials of our government. We want to remove this security fear.”

Six police officers and a driver were killed, and several players and officials were injured, when gunmen opened fire on the Sri Lanka team bus on its way to the Gaddafi Stadium for the third day of the second Test.

Since then all 27 of Pakistan’s Tests and their 67 one-day internationals since the terror attacks have been played on foreign soil

Pakistan will face England in three Tests, four one-day internationals and three Twenty20 games in the New Year in a series held in the United Arab Emirates.

Analysts Say Adidas Will Suffer During NBA Lockout

Analysts believe Adidas faces losing half its licensed NBA apparel sales as a result of the NBA lockout.

High profile games have been dropped from the 2011/12 season, due to start on Nov. 1, including defending champions Chicago Bulls’s trip to face the Dallas Mavericks.

NBA players and owners said on Wednesday they would enlist a mediator in the dispute over collective bargaining.

Basketball is a lucrative business in the United States for the world’s top two sporting goods makers, Nike and Adidas.

Adidas is likely to suffer most of all from the lockout because it has been the license holder to provide NBA uniforms and apparel for five years.

Adidas make $100 million in sales from licensed NBA products. Basketball products are one of its top five most lucrative sporting categories.

Matt Powell, analyst at SportsOneSource, said licensed apparel sales could decrease by 50% if the season were cancelled. This would mirror the impact of the 1998/9 season lockout.

Powell said: “Overall, sales of NBA licensed products fell by 20 percent last week, and I view that as the beginning of the fall because of the lockout.”

It is important for businesses that season begins before Christmas because it’s the busiest time sales and demand for NBA products traditionally drops further into the season.

Euromonitor analyst Kailing Cai said: “In terms of licensed apparel, fans tend to buy jerseys near the beginning of the season.”

Adidas claims it’s more interested in footwear sales, which account for a vast proportion of the basketball market.

Chief Executive Herbert Hainer said:”The kids are still buying the shoes,”

Analysts believe sales of basketball shoes will be aided by ubiquitous advertising, especially on social media websites, and companies’ attempts to promote their products at local levels, including through college basketball.