Annecy Bid Dealt Blow by Another Resignation
April 11, 2011
The French bid of Annecy to host the 2018 Winter Olympics and Paralympics has suffered another major setback after deputy director general Herve Madore resigned yesterday, April 10.
Internal conflicts are what Madore based his decision upon, one that coincided with Annecy sending a high-powered delegation to London where they gave a presentation at SportAccord.
Madore was not part of the public face of Annecy’s team but played a vital role behind the scenes directing operational affairs.
Following Annecy 2018 President Charles Beigbeder’s decision to draft in Pierre Mirabeaud as the new director general in January, Madore claimed that he did not feel he fitted in.
French officials have been playing down Madore’s resignation but it adds to the perception that it is a bid in crisis, especially following the resignation in December of former Olympic champion Edgar Grospiron as chief executive in a row over the budget.
A spokesman for the bid stated: “Annecy 2018 confirms Herve Madore has decided to leave his position as deputy director general of the bid to move on to a new opportunity with the Ministry of Sport.
“Our President, Charles Beigbeder and the rest of the team are all enormously grateful for the contributions he has made to the bid; particularly in leading the production of our excellent bid book.
“We wish him well in his new position and thank him for the role he has played in helping us develop a bid we believe can win the right to host the 2018 Winter Olympic and Paralympic Games.
‘We have a committed and talented team in place who can deliver in every area required in the final phase of our campaign.
“We will continue to do everything we can to make this bid a success.”
There is also growing unrest, however, among International Olympic Committee (IOC) members about the low profile adopted by triple Olympic champion Jean-Claude Killy in backing the bid.
Killy, an influential member of the IOC who is the chairman of the Coordination Commission for Sochi 2014, has so far failed to appear at any of Annecy’s international presentations.
He only appeared in their presentation at SportAccord via a six month old video though Beigbeder insists that Killy is fully behind the bid and had a meeting with him before leaving for London to discuss their campaign.
“He told us to keep to the the basics, stay focused and sell the product,” he said.
“He thinks and wants us to win.”