American Consortium Purchase AS Roma

August 19, 2011

An American consortium headed by Thomas DiBenedetto have become the new owners of top Italian soccer club AS Roma.

The takeover, negotiations for which had been ongoing since April, buy gives the consortium a 67% stake of Roma for around US$100 million. Di Benedetto’s group will be obliged to make an offer to purchase the remaining 33% of the club.

A Financial Times report states that half of the US$100million will be invested by the end of 2011, with the other 50% to be paid in instalments.

DiBenedetto is president of investment company Boston International and is a partner in Fenway Sports Group, which owns Major League Baseball’s Boston Red Sox and English Premier League club Liverpool.

Roma’s interim president Roberto Cappelli said: “We have worked in the best interests of Roma.”

“This is a serious project and the Americans have convinced us with their passion and knowledge of the sport business sector. DiBenedetto will become president in September and the objectives are to win, but we will see what happens.”