NFL Media is looking for a highly motivated, creative, and detail-oriented Digital Content Editor to work with NFL.com copy editors, writers and NFL Network reporters in the field on all types of news stories, including breaking and developing news situations. The candidate will be well versed in all news related to the National Football League. The candidate will also have a working knowledge of NCAA football, the NFL Draft and the NFL Combine. The ideal candidate is team oriented and collaborates well. Working on deadline and under pressure is a must. The NFL Media newsroom is a 24/7 operation, and this position will require weekend work and potentially after-hours assignments. You’ll have precise instincts and experience to make editorial decisions independently and the ability to stand behind those decisions when challenged .
- Train and directly oversee seasonal, contracted and part-time digital content producers, making story assignments and checking their work to ensure all content is grammatically correct, factually accurate and consistent with NFL Media’s editorial policies.
- Select, prioritize, edit, and post content of all types (text, video, photo, etc.) in a fast-paced, deadline environment, mindful of NFL Media editorial and stylistic standards.
- Think and react quickly to breaking news to coordinate breaking news language for the website and, as needed, NFL Network Ticker.
- Work closely with reporters on researching, sourcing, and publishing stories.
- Communicate effectively and efficiently with different NFL Media departments to ensure coverage is consistent across all media platforms, including during fast-paced breaking-news scenarios.
- Demonstrate news judgment in editing and story selection consistent with NFL Media’s editorial policies.
- Prioritize editing queue in-line with the daily content plan but informed by data provided by real-time metrics.
- Manage the Around The NFL Twitter feed to maximize social impact and check that information is displayed creatively to capitalize user engagement.
- Execute home-page content plan, while also making independent and well-reasoned decisions based on real-time metrics and common sense.
Required Education And Experience
- At least three years editorial experience, preferably in online medium and in the sports industry
- Familiarity with web analytics and their application
- Proven NFL knowledge that lends itself to sound news judgment
- Strong computer skills
Preferred Education And Experience
- Preferred experience working in a content management system (CMS)
Other Key Attributes / Characteristics
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational and prioritization skills
- Ability to self-start and multi-task while setting priorities
- Oversee seasonal, contractors, and part-time Digital Content Producers
Terms / Expected Hours of Work
- NFL employees are required to work a minimum of 40 hours per week.
- Ability to work late hours and weekends.
- Flexibility on schedule is a must
- The NFL maintains a Flexible Workplace Policy that provides members of our workforce with opportunities to periodically work from a location of their choice, while maintaining a priority on in-person work at an NFL office, which enables us to more effectively collaborate, connect and build a workplace culture that will drive our continued success.
- We also continue to prioritize the health and safety of our NFL workforce. Consistent with that commitment, considering the substantial and growing body of evidence that vaccinations remain the most effective protection against the spread the COVID-19, we require that members of our NFL workforce be fully vaccinated. Exceptions are available only for those who need an accommodation for a qualifying disability or sincerely held religious belief or practice.
- The NFL is committed to building a diverse, equitable and inclusive work environment that reflects our incredibly diverse fan base. We provide an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all employees and applicants without regard to status as protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.