Content Director – WNBA
The NBA is committed to providing a safe and healthy workplace. To safeguard our employees and their families, our visitors and the broader community from COVID-19, and in consideration of recommendations from health authorities and the NBA’s own advisors, any individual working onsite in our New York and New Jersey offices must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, including having received a booster when eligible. The NBA will discuss accommodations for individuals who cannot be vaccinated due to a medical reason or sincerely held religious belief, practice, or observance.
At the WNBA, we’re passionate about growing and celebrating the game of basketball. Through the intensity of the game and the amazing athletic skill of our players, we deliver excitement to hundreds of millions of fans around the world.
As a global sports and media business, the WNBA is so much more. While Basketball Operations runs the league’s on-court activities, other departments manage relationships with television and digital media partners, develop marketing partnerships with some of the world’s most recognizable companies, oversee the licensing of WNBA merchandise, and handle a wide range of responsibilities that drive the WNBA’s success.
This position is part of the WNBA Marketing team and will step in to lead the WNBA Content arm, which focuses on managing, distributing, and publishing content to the WNBA’s existing portfolio of social and digital product offerings, as well as driving strategy and managing new, long form and short form content pieces. Candidate will manage 3 direct reports who manage content-related product integrations for the WNBA’s direct to consumer content offerings on the WNBA’s suite of official digital products. The ideal candidate is an expert in product development from a content perspective with a demonstrated ability to craft a strategy that aligns our platforms to the larger creative direction. We’re looking for a team player who can work productively with their peers across the marketing org and with complementary functions beyond marketing.
You must thrive in a fast-paced work environment, be proactive, exhibit strong awareness of content monetization trends, sound work ethic with an aptitude for team collaboration and communication. The ideal candidate has their finger on the pulse of the WNBA and spends their free time immersing themselves in podcasts, message boards or consuming short and long form content about the WNBA.
- Manage all content-related projects and product integrations on behalf of the content team Leads
- Write out the long form and short form content strategy, leaning into digital and streaming for player storytelling and increasing WNBA fandom
- Thoughtfully organize the WNBA stories and design ethos, presenting them in a compelling, fan-centric experience.
- Communicate content trends and industry shifts, including implications and recommendations, to internal and external partners and lead projects to stay on top of consumption/engagement trends
- Evaluate potential content partnerships across all content formats and lead/contribute to cross-functional evaluation to ensure the success of these partnerships.
- Manage 3 direct reports: Social Content Manager, Digital Content Manager, and Creative Content Strategist with an eye on building a team of the future
- Works with internal and partner content teams to stand-up sections of site & app around various tentpoles
- Able to clearly provide direction and feedback throughout integration process
- Trains WNBA personnel on new content publishing features & appropriate use cases
- Review and recommend home-grown feature implementations, as well as 3rd party integrations (mobile messaging, content creation and/or distribution tools, etc.)
- Collaborates with Product project management group to ensure development & launch timelines are met
- Develop market expertise through continuous focus on and knowledge of the competitive and market environment in each of the strategic priority markets
- Champion initiatives to experiment and create differentiated content
- Analyze content performance results and summarize key findings
- Evaluate operational workflow for efficiency and scalability; identify challenges and provide innovative solutions
- Track & manage all related costs and provide forecasts for upcoming years
- 7+ years prior experience working on content management, creation, and production
- Prior experience in content creation, development liaison, publishing, and distribution
- Must have led a team responsible for content strategy and publishing/programming digital products (website, mobile app)
- Can inspire continuous learning and curiosity in content presentation and consumption
- Capable of establishing benchmarks and metrics as performance indicators, all within a fast paced setting.
- Knowledge of basketball – the game, past and present – is recommended
- Knowledge of sports media landscape is a plus
- Previous experience working in content creation and management
- Proficient in Word, Excel and PowerPoint Excellent interpersonal, communication, presentation building and delivery skills (including to senior management or external business partners)
- Strong organizational skills and meticulous attention to detail
- Great communication skills and ability execute feedback given
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule as this position may include working days, nights, weekends and holidays based on the WNBA calendar
- Must be a team player who can work collaboratively
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Digital Media or related field preferred
We Consider Applicants For All Positions On The Basis Of Merit, Qualifications And Business Needs, And Without Regard To Race, Color, National Origin, Religion, Sex, Gender Identity, Age, Disability, Alienage Or Citizenship Status, Ancestry, Marital Status, Creed, Genetic Predisposition Or Carrier Status, Sexual Orientation, Veteran Status, Familial Status, Status As A Victim Of Domestic Violence Or Any Other Status Or Characteristic Protected By Applicable Federal, State, Or Local Law.
Apply back to Jobs listings
At Manchester United we aim to be the best on and off the pitch – and the quality of our behind-the scenes team sets us…
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Posted: 3 hours ago
At Quidich, marketing is about understanding people - and building awareness about our services. We’re looking for an experienced and versatile marketing manager who is…
Location: Mumbai, India
Posted: 3 hours ago
About The Role Race Promotion is a key pillar of Formula 1’s business, contracting and delivering the live platform where fans can experience the thrill…
Location: London, London
Posted: 1 day ago
Sports: Formula 1
What could you achieve at an agency with a genuinely game-changing offering that is creating demand from all major brands in sport, esports and gaming?…
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Posted: 2 days ago
The new CEO will be BWB’s leader, representative and one of its ambassadors, acting as the primary contact for the Board, its partners, and stakeholders.…
Location: Loughborough, United Kingdom
Posted: 5 days ago
About the job Application Deadline: 13 October 2022 Department: Commerical Employment Type: Permanent - Full Time Location: London, UK Description The Premier League's Commercial team is looking for a…
Location: United Kingdom
Posted: 6 days ago