Royal Montreal Golf Club to Host RBC Canadian Open in 2014

The RBC Canadian Open is headed back to Royal Montreal Golf Club in 2014.

Renowned as the oldest golf club in North America and the site of the inaugural Canadian Open in 1904, ailment Royal Montreal will play host to Canada’s National Open Championship for a 10 time.

Royal Montreal last staged the Canadian Open back in 2001, which was won by Scott Verplank. The Club previously hosted the Championship in 1904, 1908, 1913, 1926, 1950, 1975, 1980 and 1997.

“Royal Montreal shares a long and storied history with both Golf Canada and Canada’s National Open Championship dating back more than a century,” said Golf Canada Executive Director and CEO Scott Simmons. “We are thrilled to add to that special legacy again in 2014.”

One of the five founding clubs of the Royal Canadian Golf Association (now operating as Golf Canada), The Royal Montreal Golf Club most recently hosted The Presidents Cup in 2007.

“To play an important role in Canadian golf is a part of the Club’s Mission Statement.  This will be another opportunity for spectators to watch some exciting golf on our challenging Blue Course.  With the anticipated support of the Quebec golf and business communities, we are looking forward to making this a very successful and memorable event,” stated Royal Montreal President George Waters.

 

Austin Officials Confident Over Funding Process

Austin Grand Prix officials are adamant they have followed the proper process in pushing on with their race at the Circuit of the Americas, despite fresh doubts about the venue’s eligibility for Texas state funding.

A ruling by Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott at the end of last week failed to resolve the issue of whether or not Austin was eligible for £30 million (USD) worth of revenue from a Major Events Trust Fund – which was set-up to help finance national and international sporting events taking place in the state.

Abbott suggested that because there had not been a local application for the funding, then Austin should not receive the money – which had been expected to be released after this year’s event that takes place on November 18.

Abbot said: “Unless an application for an event as defined in the statute is submitted to a site selection organisation, that event is ineligible for METF funding.”

There is a dispute, however, over whether or not Austin did apply locally to Formula One Management rather than simply being selected to host a grand prix – and this will be key to the issuing of funding.

In a statement issued by the Circuit of the Americas, circuit president Steve Sexton said: “We have worked with the local organizing committee in following the process to secure and host this international event.

“This event will pump hundreds of millions of dollars into the Texas economy while creating thousands of new full and part-time jobs and will have a positive impact on our community.

“We look forward to the first Formula 1 United States Grand Prix in Austin this November, and to working with state, county and city officials to create another key economic driver for Central Texas.”

Worcestershire Cricket Club Announce Profit

Worcestershire County Cricket Club has today announced a profit after interest of £211, medic 893 for the year ending 30th September 2011.

Chief Executive, therapy David Leatherdale commented, “having gained promotion to the 1st division of the LV= County Championship in 2011, retaining this status for 2012 was a key target and to have managed this with a young and developing squad is a major achievement.”

“The support from members and spectators continues to be strong which has seen a growth in revenue from both membership and ticket sales, as well as an increase in physical numbers attending matches, and is no doubt a reflection on the loyal and growing support the Club has.”

“The recent announcement with regards the potential new hotel and additional conference facilities for the Club, combined with the already successful Graeme Hick Pavilion, will continue to develop the Club as a 365 day a year sporting and conference venue, which in these uncertain economic times, is key to our sustainability as one of only 18 First Class County Clubs.”

“It is encouraging to see in excess of 150 new members have already joined for the 2012 season, which gets underway on the 5th April against Nottinghamshire at Trent Bridge and at New Road against the same opponents on the 26th April.”

“I am sure 2012 will be another challenging year but we hope to continue the progress made during 2011, both on and off the pitch, and look forward to another exciting summer ahead.”

NBA Deadline Comes & Goes with No Deal on Table, Talks to Continue Today

The National Basketball Association (NBA) owners and its players’ union will continue talks in New York today after 12 hours of discussions yesterday bore no fruit for a new collective bargaining agreement.

NBA Commissioner David Stern’s Wednesday deadline came and went with no deal on the table but the two sides have decided to pick up where they left off with discussions.

“Nothing was worked out,” Stern told reporters after leaving the Manhattan hotel where talks are taking place. “Right now, we’re not failing and we’re not succeeding.”

The union has rejected a proposal from team owners that offered them 49 percent to 51 percent of basketball-related income. The sides have yet to agree on how to divide revenue, although the union is willing to move closer to a 50:50 split.

Players, who got 57 percent under the contract that expired July 1, are willing to compromise on their demand for 52 percent of basketball-related income in return for concessions on rules governing player movement and salary, union Executive Director Billy Hunter said last night.

“There was enough give and take that warranted our coming back,” Hunter said early this morning after the latest meetings ended, about 11 hours before negotiations are set to resume.

The sides are at a crossroads over how to divide about $4.3 billion of league revenue. Stern has said the 30 teams collectively lost $300 million last season. With each percentage point worth about $40 million, the players would be giving up $280 million a year by dropping to a 50 percent share, the New York Times reported.

Stern told NBA TV yesterday that the season can’t start until 30 days after an agreement is reached. The league has canceled the first month of the regular season, which was scheduled to start Nov. 1.


Related Discussion>>

NFL and Players to Suspend CBA Talks for a Month

Suspension of talks between the National Football League (NFL) and its players on a new labor accord have been put in place for almost a month while they await a federal judge’s ruling on a request to end the lockout.

Players’ and owners’ representatives met four times over the past two weeks in Minneapolis with the mediator, apoplectic Chief Magistrate Judge Arthur Boylan.

James Quinn, outside counsel for the players, said as he left yesterday’s, April 20, meeting: “We’re going to be back here on May 16 to continue the mediation. Everybody believes that it was helpful.”

Executive vice president and general counsel for the league, Jeff Pash, said Boylan’s contributions are moving the sides toward a conclusion, stating on NFL.com: “This was a valuable process. I don’t think a single minute of it was wasted time. We’ll be back here ready to make a deal; that’s the only way we’re going to solve this problem.”

Before the players and owners meet again, U.S. District Judge Susan Richard Nelson is expected to rule on the players’ lawsuit to end the lockout after quarterbacks Tom BradyPeyton Manning and Drew Brees led a group of 10 NFL players who sued the league on March 11 after negotiations on a new labor contract ended without agreement.

The players moved to decertify their union and owners declared a lockout. Players claim the league’s policies violate U.S. antitrust laws.

Butt/Amir Appeal to CAS Against Bans, Asif Intentions Unknown

Lawyers for two of the Pakistan cricketers banned by the International Cricket Council (ICC) last month after being found guilty of corruption, Salman Butt and Mohammad Amir, have filed appeals to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) against the sanctions placed against them in the spot-fixing scandal.

Butt was banned for ten years – five of them suspended, while Amir was banned for five. Mohammad Asif, banned for seven years, two of which are suspended, is yet to appeal against the tribunal’s decision despite denying any wrongdoing in last summer’s Test Match versus England..

The players were all banned after UK newspaper – the News of the World reported no balls were bowled at specific points in England’s innings after a payment was made to a businessman.

Former captain Butt said in a statement: “This is to confirm that today my legal team served a statement of appeal.”

Amir’s lawyer Shahid Karim said he filed his client’s appeal on Friday, stating: “The process is now to set to motion, we have challenged the judgment of the tribunal on various grounds.”

In a separate development, the players are due to appear at City of Westminster Magistrates’ Court on 17 March to face charges of conspiracy to obtain and accept corrupt payments and conspiracy to cheat.

Rick Kenney Re-elected Executive President of Commonwealth Judo Association

Rick Kenney, buy Vice President of JudoScotland, shop was re-elected as Executive President of the Commonwealth Judo Association at the recent CJA Congress held in Glasgow.

Rick was a member of the CJA Executive from 1990 and was elected as Senior Vice President in 1998. He attended Commonwealth Judo Championships in this position all over the world, advice including Mauritius; Malta; Canada: Singapore and New Zealand. He was Chairman of the Organising Committees when Commonwealth Championships were held in Scotland in 1998 and 1986.

He was previously Chairman of JudoScotland for seven years and Vice Chair of the British Judo Association for 5 years along with serving 2 terms as Vice Chair of the Commonwealth Games Council for Scotland.

The role of CJA Executive President is a demanding one with some 71 Commonwealth countries having involvement in the sport of judo at all levels from recreational to international representation. The CJA is now involved in discussions with the International Judo Federation to progress mutual opportunities to further develop judo across the Commonwealth.

Judo was a demonstration sport in Edinburgh at the 1986 Games, when Rick was also the team coach, and due to its success, the sport was then included in the following Games in Auckland, New Zealand in 1990. Judo had to wait until the Manchester Commonwealth Games in 2002 before the sport re-appeared on the Games programme, with Graham Randall winning a gold medal for Scotland.

Rick said, “I look forward to developing judo across the Commonwealth over the next few years and am sure that the success of the Glasgow Commonwealth Games will continue to showcase our sport across the world. Scotland has a long tradition in judo at Commonwealth level stretching back to 1986 and I see a bright future for judo.”

Houston Astros to Use HEAT Service Management in New Technology Deal

Major League Baseball team Houston Astros has agreed a partnership with IT software company FrontRage.

As part of the deal, adiposity the Astros have selected HEAT Service Management as its service desk platform. FrontRange HEAT Service Management provides the Houston Astros with a highly flexible solution, herbal built on IT best practices, troche  that serves as a centralized service management platform across their organization, including Minute Maid Park.

“Prior to implementing HEAT Service Management, we had no help desk, no follow up or tracking functionality, and limited reporting capabilities,” said Ray Ebert, senior director of information technology of the Houston Astros. “In seeking a service desk solution, HEAT quickly rose to the top on the basis of functionality, solid industry reputation and peer evaluations from others in the MLB who had migrated to HEAT. The HEAT Service Management solution offers direct alignment with ITIL, impressive reporting features and extensibility to departments beyond IT.”

With the implementation of HEAT Service Management, the Astros are able to consolidate service calls across the entire company. In addition to the IT department, engineering, human resources and finance are also leveraging HEAT for service desk support as well as event management in their sponsorship suites. Moreover, the introduction of incident management capabilities has allowed the organization to better manage the myriad of situations that may arise at an MLB ballpark.

“During games, any number of unexpected situations including spills, fan altercations, escalator breaks, and other unforeseen complications may occur,” said Ebert. “Game days now run much smoother from a service desk perspective as HEAT’s simple, streamlined interface allows us to quickly record any incidents that may arise.”

“The Astros’ selection of HEAT Service Management represents a significant customer win,” said John Callahan, VP of North America Sales at FrontRange. “With tens of thousands of fans counting on them every game day, the Astros franchise requires a proven and robust service management solution that provides simple and efficient support for its IT needs. We are thrilled to be the platform of choice for all of their service management requirements.”

FIFA Announces Profit & Record Revenue for 2013

FIFA have made a profit of $72 million and grew its reserves to $1.432 billion, medstore the governing body announced today.

FiFA had income of $1.386 billion and spending of $1.314 billion in the third year of a four-year commercial cycle linked to the 2014 World Cup.

The expenditure amount included $757 million for event-related expenses (FIFA organised seven tournaments in 2013), $183 million for development projects, and $216 million for other operating expenses, of which $17 million was for tax payments. The number of employees rose to 452 (from 412 in 2012).

FIFA paid $17 million in tax linked to its subsidiary companies, including Early Warning System, which monitors gambling on football, and financial assets.

FIFA President Blatter is among the FIFA leaders and executives who shared bonus payments totaling $36.3 million. 

{jcomments on}

UFC Unveils New Digital Network for Online Viewing

The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) are looking to build their digital platform in 2014, arthritis as CEO Lorenzo Fertitta confirmed plans to upgrade their current online viewing.

Starting with UFC Fight Night 34 from Singapore on January 4, order many international events will be streamed live online in their original airing time.

“The UFC has always been ahead of the game in the digital world,” Fertitta said, in an interview with MMAjunkie.com. “The UFC was the first major sporting organization to embrace social media and the first to offer live pay-per-view events across multiple digital platforms. The new digital network continues that tradition of innovation, bringing unrivaled choice to UFC fans.”

Also, the UFC is headed to England in March and that event will stream on the new platform, as well. International versions of The Ultimate Fighter are also expected to find a home on the new stream, along with an archives section.

“The UFC’s expansion into international markets, and the extended calendar of events, is certainly part of the reason it makes sense to launch the digital network in 2014,” Fertitta said. “UFC fans are the most passionate fans in the world, and we want to ensure they can see every fight and every event no matter where in the world the octagon may be.”