|Exclusive: WRU Won’t Bow to ‘small minority’ in Four Regions Funding Debate|
Tuesday, 12 February 2013 10:30
The CEO of Welsh Rugby Union, Roger Lewis, has said that the funding debate for the four regions will not be decided by a small minority.
The Professional Regional Game Board was set up last year with the possibility of two of the four regions gaining extra funding, but the idea has been met with scepticism from clubs who feel they may lose out.
Speaking exclusively to iSportconnect, Lewis said: “The most important thing is that whatever we do, we have to get it right for Welsh rugby and make sure that all our clubs are convinced that it is the right solution.
“We cannot exist in a parochial myopic way, purely looking after the vested interests of a small minority. We’ve got to look at the bigger picture here and that is what’s right for Welsh rugby.
“Working together in as joined a fashion as possible is without doubt the most appropriate way for a country that is as small as Wales.”
Lewis confirmed that the talks were in the early stages and that no decision would be made without agreement on all sides.
He added: “We have a participation agreement with the four regions that runs until June 2014 so we’ve got plenty of time to get this right. No decision will be reached on the future shape of professional rugby until there’s an agreement with all the appropriate and relative parties.”
Read the full Featured Profile interview with Roger Lewis here >>