|Growing the base: USA Canoe/Kayak's challenges and opportunities- Bob Lally|
Growing the United States of America’s Canoe / Kayak (USA C/K) base/enterprise requires us to not only energize and empower our current stakeholders to be USA C/K members, but also we must attract new members to sustain ourselves to be a vibrant, world class organization.
Our Mission shall be to enable United States athletes to achieve sustained competitive excellence in Olympic, Paralympic, Pan American, and other international competition; and to promote and grow paddlesports in the United States.
So how are we going to grow our base, our enterprise (quantifiably and with quality)? Our strategies to grow, that we are now executing, are the following:
1. Develop, integrate and implement strategic partnerships that help grow the sport
2. Package recreational & competitive paddling experience to recruit, develop & retain paddling enthusiasts within our community
3. Host events that serve to attract new membership
4. Enhance sanctioning program
Some of our measurable accomplishments we have achieved recently are:
• We launched our new campaign/logo: Paddle Now!,
• The Oklahoma City (OK) Riversport Biathlon Louisville (KY) “Paddle For Hunger” Marathon are Paddle Now! Events,
• We are in the process of reenergizing a strategic partnership with American Canoe Association (ACA). This year we will be holding our annual Board of Directors meeting in Charleston, South Carolina where the ACA board will meet, also. After each Board holds their required annual meeting separately, we will do a joint session with the ACA board members.
• We have established a ParaCanoe committee. As we all know ParaCanoe will be an Olympic sport in 2016. This new committee will ensure organizational and governance -wise we are structurally prepared so that this new discipline will sustain itself.
• We, one of our coaches, created our first Paddle Now! Instructional video.
Other activities we are pursuing and are confident will increase membership and our awareness are:
• We desire to establish a Stand up Paddle (SUP) committee that will align with our goals,
• Launch Paddle Now! membership and sanctioning program,
• Execute a pilot Paddle Now! Day in OKC in partnership w/ retailer,
• Establish a Paddle Now! feature for large USA C/K events that streamlines path to instruction and clubs,
• Create Paddle Now! Membership competition
What we are doing is real and exciting. We are determined to succeed and put Paddlesports on the map equal to the most recognized Olympic sports. As Chairman of the USA Canoe/Kayak Board of Directors please know we are 100% committed to this enterprise to ensure success, we will be transparent in all our deliberations, our door is open and we are available. I believe we can make a difference as we journey together with the ISPORTCONNECT community make the tough calls, right decisions, and enjoy each other’s friendship.
Paddle Now, Bob Lally
About Bob Lally
Bob Lally currently serves as Colorado Technical University’s President for the Doctoral Studies and Dean for all security programs as it relates to Homeland, Cyber, Critical Infrastructure, Public Safety and Health.
Bob’s active duty Naval Aviation career spanned 28 years and he commanded in combat at multiple levels. His background includes a full spectrum of senior leadership and management from unit level organizations of some 200 people to 4000 Task Force level where readiness was essential to mission success. His military awards include the Defense Superior Service Medal, Legion of Merit (2), Bronze Star, Air Medal (2 Strike/Flight), and Navy Commendation Medals with two Combat Distinguishing devices.
Bob and his wife Katie have two children, Elizabeth (25) and Bobby (23).